1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Program that can block another program from running.

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by dylanh, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dylanh

dylanh Thread Starter

I've searched all over the internet for a program that can block another program from running. I've been looking for one so I can block FireFox and MSN from running while I'm playing games. It's really annoying when I'm rendering a map in SimCity4 and MSN decides to log in, or a pop-up comes up in the middle of rendering. If you play SimCity4, then you know why I'm so annoyed about it.

I've tried WinTasks 5, but it only blocks the program if a user initiates program. Because a pop-up isn't intiated by a user, WinTasks does not block it.

Does anyone else know of a program that will completely block Firefox and MSN, but also have the option of un-blocking them after I'm done playing a game?

PS: I know I really should find a way to get rid of the pop-ups, but all my Anti-Virus/Spam/Malware/Adware programs freeze up when it tries to fix all the infected fiiles.

2. Sponsor

3. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Well, FireFox shouldn't load unless it's needed..
    MSN?.... What in MSN is running?.. Messenger?.. That can be stopped..

Sounds like you need to clean the viruses and spyware, before you just stop programs..
    Those can kill your game performance too..

4. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

BTW, what AV/Spyware programs do you have?...

Edit: you may want to have this moved to security.. They can help you get free from your viruses and stuff..

5. dylanh

dylanh Thread Starter

All the pop-ups on my computer load in Firefox.
    And MSN messanger, even though I right click it and choose "exit", still logs on after a period of time.

As I said, I know I should be fixing the problems, but when ever I try to fix them, my computer freezes. I've even let the anti-virus program stay frozen for hours in hope that it would unfreeze and continue the removal process. I've tried many programs:

MS Anti-Spyware
    Norton Anti-virus
    Trend Micro's online scan
    Spyware Doctor
    Ad-Aware SE

All of them freeze during the removal process and don't unfreeze, causing me to restart my computer and not have the problems removed.

6. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Hmm, That is a serious problem...

Have you tried running them in "safe mode"? I think Ad-aware can... Norton should too..

7. dylanh

dylanh Thread Starter

Safe Mode is a problem too. It doesn't load. It hangs on the black and white screen with all the loading details, then just quits and loads the computer in Normal mode.

PS: I've requested it to be moved to Security.

8. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Wow, you got some major issues...
    I know the TSGers can help, but it could take some doing..

Your in the right place for help... (y)

9. dylanh

dylanh Thread Starter

I'm hoping that this doesn't take too long to fix. Last time my computer was like this, I had to take it to a shop to get everything taken out and restore it to the original manufacture state.

10. dylanh

dylanh Thread Starter

I should tell you that the only AV software on my computer right now are MS Anti-Spyware, Spybot S&D, and Spyware Doctor

11. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Those aren't AV programs.. just spyware..

If you have no AV you can try BitDefender 9.. I have tried it and like it..
    It is faster than Norton.. Meaning your system will boot quicker than with Norton..
    At least that is my experience..

It's free for 30 days... http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Download/browseEvaluationVersion/
    All you need to install is the AV and the updater.. I guess if you don't have a fire Wall you could try that too.. If you want more review about BD9 read here..
    http://forums.techguy.org/reviews/440278-bitdefender-9-started-just-program.html

Well, the time needed depends on how infected you are.. Sounds like you have some real nasties in there.. you can get it clean..
    Your choices are, wipe your drive and start over.. Or wait and go through the steps.. Most likely you will be able to save all your files, but it can take time to find things..
    Those viruses can hide real well..

12. dylanh

dylanh Thread Starter

I'll download it and run a scan. I'll post back in a few minutes.

I've also thought about wiping my hard drive. But since I've lost my Windows XP CDs (and don't really want to 300 bucks to buy another XP OS) it's impossible to wipe my hard drive and still have Windows XP on my computer.

13. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Any news?... Did BD work?..

14. dylanh

dylanh Thread Starter

It only found two problems. It fixed both of the problems. Though, I find it strange that all the other anti-virus programs I've tried found multiple problems (they just froze up whenever I tried to fix them.).

15. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

So?... Does this mean it's working for you?...
    Do you still get the pop-ups and log ons?..

Some viruses are made to fool or disable some AV programs.. The "large" ones like Norton are a big target..

I would suggest, you update all spyware programs, BD.. Then disconnect from the net completely, run all the scans.. Fix the bad stuff, reboot, reconnect and see if everything is A-OK... If not there are other programs that can find more things..
    I don't spend much time here, (in security) so I only know a little, and enough to keep myself safe..

16. wdm2291

wdm2291

If you're still looking for such a program, this one might be of interest to you:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Program_Lock_Pro_d1642.html

Wayne

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/451988