1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Program to Convert .SMI to WMV or any other more common video file

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by SpyKiller112, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SpyKiller112

SpyKiller112 Guest Thread Starter

I saved a video off the internet and it saved as a .smi, what program can i use to convert it to something else? (i want to use this file in a powerpoint presentation)

2. linskyjack

linskyjack

.smi is used to author rich media /multiple media presentations which integrate steraming audio and video with images text and other media types. I dont think you can convert it to something else. You can try playing it in Quicktime.

3. SpyKiller112

I tried playing it in Quicktime... didn't work.

I opened the file with notepad and this is all it says "http://www.ushmm.org/smil/wlc/film/dfd0379f.smi" When i paste it into my browser, i just get a download dialog. I want to be able to play this in a powerpoint presentation.

4. SpyKiller112

This is the original site i got it from... http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/index.php?ModuleId=10005158

At the bottom of the page is apicture. Click that, a popup window comes up and plays a video. I right clicked selected Page Info in the menu, saved the embeded video. And now im here.

5. linskyjack

linskyjack

I dont believe you can convert that unless you can find a way of pulling the video stream out. Remember that is an smi file---means a mixture of graphics, video and text. You can probably find a free clip on the same subject over at National Archives or the Library of Congress.

6. thecoalman

thecoalman

SMIL - http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/

I looked at the source and as linksyjack said you can't convert it, it's not a video file to begin with but code that can compile many sources into a single presentation. Interresting... at least to me as i do some web design on the side. In this case it's two sources....

<video src="rtsp://real.ushmm.org/real.ushmm/wlc/film/dfd0379f.rm" region="media"/>
    <text src="dfd0379f.rt" region="caption"/>

You can't downalod them directly, probably have t be loaded through the page... or some other method to prevent what you're trying to do. Try capturing with a screen capture utility like camstudio .

Not sure if that's public domain but if it isn't you'll be breaking copyright law if you use it.

7. linskyjack

linskyjack

Good point coalman---although that was royalty free footage (looked like stuff I have seen in the Library of Congress), the .smi format consists of words, images, videos etc---and therefore it is most likely copyrighted. Let me guess--this is a kid doing a school project on the Holocaust.

8. SpyKiller112

Well.. close... D-day

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/449585

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice