1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

program trying to change my search engine

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Lareux, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lareux

Lareux Thread Starter

Dec 5, 2004
    I keep getting an error message stating that a program is trying to change my default search engine. I saw where AVG (on their toolbar options) wanted the default to be yahoo, which is the one the program is appearantly trying change to. I have done everything I can to get that setting out of the system, but the error keeps coming back. Any thoughts or fixes?
  2. Fray

Jul 12, 2009
    Uninstall everything yahoo related?

I've never liked the software because it likes to make unauthorized changes to the system and just generally act in a shady manner.

It might be malware related but typically it wouldnt try to change your search engine to yahoo but rather to whatever page the creators have set up to make money off of.
  3. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Mar 18, 2004
    Uninstall AVG (if this is the program that keeps wanting it to change to yahoo) and then reinstall it making sure to UNcheck the option to have the yahoo toolbar installed.

If AVG is not the correct program, what other programs have you installed recently, or prior to this starting?
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/843221