1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Program won't install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shaneo, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shaneo

shaneo Thread Starter

I've got a 15 gig,800mhz Compaq Deskpro running W2k.Went to install a 20 meg program and the installation wiz says there ain't enough room on C drive. My comp>Loc Disk C:>reports 13.9 Gig Capacity,1.89 gig Used,12.0 gig Free. So there should be plenty. C drive Hard drive. Don't know anything about partitioning etc. Any ideas?
    Shaneo

2. columbo

columbo

Hi,

Try going into your profile under Documents and Settings, then open up your Local Settings folder (you'll have to "un-hide" this if you don't have "View All Files" set in your Folder Options). Then open up your Temp folder, highlight all those files and delete them (delete your Temp Internet files while your at it too).
    Then browse to c:\winnt\temp, highlight, and delete all those files too. Finally, as a last measure, go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, then choose Disk Cleanup. Once that runs, delete anything else that it might find.

This is all I can think of.....usually when you're installing a program, the "setup" file temporarily drops a bunch of files that it needs to use into your temp folders....if there's a lot of junk in these folders it can cause problems sometimes.

Don't know what else to suggest....are you running this from a CD or did you download this from the Net? There *might* be a problem with the actual installer...but that's not likely.

Hope this helps

Columbo

3. shaneo

shaneo Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay in replying. The power supply decided to go on strike so I've just replaced it.

I tried all you said with no result.The program's on CD and I've just installed a much larger program with no problems. I've also tried installing the "troublesome' program on a different computer with only 4 gig HD and it went on fine.The system i installed it on is running 98se so I'm wondering if it's a W2k issue even though the program is suposed to be compat with OS 95 thru to XP.
    Totally stumped on this one!! Any clues??
    Shaneo

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, it would be a big help if you specified the program and version you're trying to install!

5. shaneo

shaneo Thread Starter

Nothing asked ,nothing gained!.Reader Rabbit Learning Centre Series

Found the problem at the manufacturers forum.Disk Check would misreport anything higher than 2gig of space.Press Ctrl when install wizard requests Destination folder > Next> >. Job done!!:D

A program supposedly compatible with XP not recognising any thing over 2gig!!! Inexcusable in this day and age considering Xp was released when 20 gig HD were the norm.Work that one out!
    Any way can't complain.Problem sorted.
    Thanks for all help.
    Shaneo:D

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That must be an ancient program! I've seen that, but only a few years back when W95 was considered up-to-date! :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!