1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Program won't work after system restore

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by 78jimm, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 78jimm

78jimm Thread Starter

Hi there! My Arcsoft Total Media Suite came pre-installed on my windows 7 laptop.
    To check if my System Restore worked i uninstalled this program and then restored the computer, but now when i click on the program icons in the start menu or the in My Computer an error window appears with nothing written on it but an ok button. The Total Media Theatre doesn't work nor does the WebCam Companion. They are both 3.0 versions.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Did you a Windows System Restore or some kind of System Recovery provided by the computer manufacturer?

If you did a Windows System Restore, it only reverted the Windows operating system to the settings and system files that worked on a given date. It does not restore any programs that were removed.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore

3. 78jimm

78jimm Thread Starter

yes but the Arcsoft files came back in the C drive and in the Start menu

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Which did you do?

5. 78jimm

78jimm Thread Starter

Windows System Restore

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Did you uninstall the two programs through the Windows 7 Programs and Features control panel?

7. 78jimm

78jimm Thread Starter

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    The combination of uninstalling the programs and using Windows System Restore should have resulted in the programs no longer existing on the computer. It is possible that the Arcsoft un-installer does not totally remove some parts of the program or leaves empty or nearly empty sub-directories. It may have left the program shortcut icons in some some Windows directory and the Windows Restore may have redisplayed them on the desktop.

Unless the computer has recovery discs or hard disc partition that permits re-installing the pre-installed programs, you may not be able to get the program back without totally restoring the hard drive contents to fresh from the factory conditions. This would wipe out all programs installed after you got the computer and all user files and documents.

9. 78jimm

78jimm Thread Starter

there is a recovery disc, and all the files of the program are there in the C drive; maybe there is a problem with the registry

10. prunejuice

prunejuice

Perhaps the version that came with your laptop was only trialware...expires after a few weeks and then you need to purchase a full version.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice