1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Programmatically check if outlook(mso) or outlook express(msoe) is installed?

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by xSMOKEx, Jul 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xSMOKEx

xSMOKEx Thread Starter

so far i know 2 ways to check that
    for outlook you can check the registry to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles
    or
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles
    depending on os (check default value) if exist user configured outlook means installed
    for express u could check for %APPDATA% + "\Microsoft\Address Book\" + %USERNAME% + ".wab" file (adressbook)
    if exist user created profile

its working that way only prob now is the profiles are saved on a server
    including HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ + document folder (appdata)
    means if i login somewhere else and check for both they exist but outlook isnt installed there eg.!?
    means i have to find a way to check if outlook is installed
    (as msoe is allways installed i have just to check if HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command = msoe then test wab
    that way i know its default mail client msoe is installed and default mail client
    but mso(outlook) is harder
    u could install office or mso single and checking registry for somethings i could use leads me allways to the {guid's}
    and i have no clue how to read em
    i found on ms website only that article
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/xp/journ/prog0001.htm
    (1A = Microsoft Outlook 2002 but does that only work with mso2002?
    the 1A if it changes it wouldnt help isnt there a easier way to check if outlook is installed on a computer whitout checking for office/outlook and all that garbage?
    (outlook is on server btw) means cant check for the exe :) about installed or not
    only HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry could help me as it is on each machine different and not saved from server
    (i need that for a program that uses mapi and i want to know if the user has outlook/outlook express installed)
    maybe someone can help me about that

2. coderitr

coderitr

Welcome to TSG. (y) (y)

I found a registry key at HKLM\Software\Clients\Mail that contains the list of selections on the IE properties programs tab for the default mail client. The main key has a "Default" value which contains the user's selection and points to a subkey by the same name. The Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express subkeys have an "Envelope" subkey which has a "CurVer" value but I'm not sure that means the current version of the program. I found this info just doing a cursory search of the registry -- I don't know how you would determine from this which version you have.

Good luck with your project. Hope this helps.

3. xSMOKEx

xSMOKEx Thread Starter

neat dude!
    that's it for mso
    (the key doesnt exist if mso is not installed and hklm is not serversided saved as it vary on computer (components)

i guess i can trackdown other email clients that way too as it seems that they get added there as well

4. coderitr

coderitr

Yes you can see other mail clients there also. My office pc has Lotus Notes (yuk) listed as the default.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/245239

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice