1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Programmes loading automatically

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Allan Murray, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Allan Murray

Allan Murray Thread Starter

I have windows Vista on Compaq laptop. I feel that too many of my programmes are loading automatically on boot-up. How do I reduce the number of these to a minimum? Also, when a new programme is installed, is there any facility at that point to ensure that it loads only when required? Allan.

2. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Go to Start - Run - MSCONFIG - OK - "Startup" tab.

Write down ONLY the names in the "Startup Item" column that have a checkmark next to them.

If the "Startup Item" column isn't wide enough to see the entire name of any of them, widen the column.

Submit those names here in a vertical list.

Make sure to spell them EXACTLY as you see them there.

------------------------------------------------------------

Go to Start - Run - SERVICES.MSC - OK.

Write down ONLY the names in the "Name" column that have their startup type set on Automatic / Automatic(Delayed Start).

If the "Name" column isn't wide enough to see the entire name of any of them, widen the column.

Submit those names here in a vertical list and in alphabetical order.

Make sure to spell them correctly.

------------------------------------------------------------

3. Allan Murray

Thank you for this. I have finished the first part, but the second will have to be left till next week because of the pressure of time. I will be back. Allan

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Alternately, you can use a program like the free Autoruns. It doesn't require any installation.

5. Allan Murray

I have decided to try Autoruns. I have down loaded, and double clicked on one of the files. This has opened a page with numerous tabs full of jargon. This seems to be a programme for High Tech guys, and that is not me. Unless, that is, I can have access to clear simple instructions. I have tried clicking on Help, but the response is "Cannot open file". Allan.

6. tiberriver256

tiberriver256

Hey Allan :)

If you are looking for a tool that is a little more safe for non-techies to use you can try Malwarebytes StartupLite.

If that tool doesn't do enough for helping you clean up those startup programs. Post back your answer to flavallee's post and let one of the experts here walk you through manually cleaning it all up ;)

Good luck,
    tiberriver256

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1066420