programming under linux

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

etch

guys , i'm about to start learning programming but under linux environment ,,, i just wanted to know which is the best programing language that has a market through linux software ? do i use java , or c , or there is another better programming language specified for linux only ??

thx in advance :)

Hi etch,

Linux system software is programmed in C. Gcc and g++ are the compilers of choice.

Java is mainly an application programming language, so if you are going to engage in application development for Linux knowing all three languages would be helpful.

If you have no programming experience at all, pay attention to learning the concepts of programming coupled with data structures - that will carry you on further in the programming field. Also, learn an assembler language like Intel's i386, and prepare yourself for multi-core programming.

-- Tom

depends on what you want to do. If its just general purpose programming and not into systems programming, you can learn Python. It is easy to learn and has cleaner syntax than most languages.

etch

thanks lotus and ghost for ur replies , actually i already have a programming knowledge , but under windows ... i know C , C ++ ,, i gotta learn Gcc and g++ ,, i guess it'll be just syntax and some symantic difference from C ++ ...

thanks lotus and ghost for ur replies , actually i already have a programming knowledge , but under windows ... i know C , C ++ ,, i gotta learn Gcc and g++ ,, i guess it'll be just syntax and some symantic difference from C ++ ...
Hi etch,

Nope, should be the same C++ syntax and semantics as the standard is followed. Gcc and g++ are only names for the compilers that compile respectively, C and C++ code.

-- Tom

etch

ahaa , that really sounds cool and easy :D ,,, thx tom and have a gr8 day :))

have a look at /usr/man/man2 this explanes the linux kernel calls (the linux API)

do a ls /usr/man/man2 to read these files
run man 2 filename (just the part to the left of the first dot)

BTW
just about ANY programming lanuage you have ever even heard of is avalabull on linux

etch

yea , i know that java is deployable on linux , of course coz of the no platform dependency ... yea , there is no big difference in the sysntax i'm sure about it ^^

if you want to be able to develop software for linux, the question you have to ask isn't "which language should I learn?" - that question you should ask when you start learning how to program, the question you should ask when you've already chosen the language is "which APIs should I learn?". For example if you want to write a graphical program then you have to make a choice between GTK+ and QT.

etch

aha, i got ur point mate , actually i was going to develop software under linux , for small companies or freelance , i just wanted to know which language would have a big reply to other companies ,,, it seems java and C would be the best for me ,

google will help me at my starting - i'll come back if i have some troubles ^^

later all , and thx for ur help :)

C/C++ and java (in that order) are the most common on linux, also as development on linux is centered around extending certain existing open source products, you'll have to learn them as well.

etch

cool , thx alot eugene , but some open source products like what :) ?

The best way to find out is to look at the job vacancies for linux programmers at monster.com or similar websites. Off the top of my head... there's IBM Eclipse, which is an IDE platform written in java, and is very popular as a platform to develop development tools on (if that makes any sense) and I've seen some GTK+ and QT requirements for a Linux programmer. As Linux is very popular for embeded devices and in the server market, you can probably expect to find most job offers requiring development for products popular in these markets, so for embedded systems that would be tools and systems programming, and for the servers familiarity with apache and mysql may be required. This is just my speculation though. Have a look here: http://jobsearch.monster.com/Search..._units=miles&pg=1&indid=33&vw=b&occ=660.11969

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online