1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

programming under linux

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by etch, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. etch

etch Thread Starter

guys , i'm about to start learning programming but under linux environment ,,, i just wanted to know which is the best programing language that has a market through linux software ? do i use java , or c , or there is another better programming language specified for linux only ??

thx in advance :)

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi etch,

Linux system software is programmed in C. Gcc and g++ are the compilers of choice.

Java is mainly an application programming language, so if you are going to engage in application development for Linux knowing all three languages would be helpful.

If you have no programming experience at all, pay attention to learning the concepts of programming coupled with data structures - that will carry you on further in the programming field. Also, learn an assembler language like Intel's i386, and prepare yourself for multi-core programming.

-- Tom

3. ghostdog74

ghostdog74

depends on what you want to do. If its just general purpose programming and not into systems programming, you can learn Python. It is easy to learn and has cleaner syntax than most languages.

4. etch

etch Thread Starter

thanks lotus and ghost for ur replies , actually i already have a programming knowledge , but under windows ... i know C , C ++ ,, i gotta learn Gcc and g++ ,, i guess it'll be just syntax and some symantic difference from C ++ ...

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi etch,

Nope, should be the same C++ syntax and semantics as the standard is followed. Gcc and g++ are only names for the compilers that compile respectively, C and C++ code.

-- Tom

6. etch

etch Thread Starter

ahaa , that really sounds cool and easy :D ,,, thx tom and have a gr8 day :))

7. rob.rice

rob.rice

have a look at /usr/man/man2 this explanes the linux kernel calls (the linux API)

do a ls /usr/man/man2 to read these files
    run man 2 filename (just the part to the left of the first dot)

BTW
    just about ANY programming lanuage you have ever even heard of is avalabull on linux

8. etch

etch Thread Starter

yea , i know that java is deployable on linux , of course coz of the no platform dependency ... yea , there is no big difference in the sysntax i'm sure about it ^^

9. talkingtree

talkingtree

yea i want to learn too but dont know which to start as well

thnx guys

10. eugene2k

eugene2k

if you want to be able to develop software for linux, the question you have to ask isn't "which language should I learn?" - that question you should ask when you start learning how to program, the question you should ask when you've already chosen the language is "which APIs should I learn?". For example if you want to write a graphical program then you have to make a choice between GTK+ and QT.

11. etch

etch Thread Starter

aha, i got ur point mate , actually i was going to develop software under linux , for small companies or freelance , i just wanted to know which language would have a big reply to other companies ,,, it seems java and C would be the best for me ,

google will help me at my starting - i'll come back if i have some troubles ^^

later all , and thx for ur help :)

12. eugene2k

eugene2k

C/C++ and java (in that order) are the most common on linux, also as development on linux is centered around extending certain existing open source products, you'll have to learn them as well.

13. etch

etch Thread Starter

cool , thx alot eugene , but some open source products like what :) ?

14. eugene2k

eugene2k

The best way to find out is to look at the job vacancies for linux programmers at monster.com or similar websites. Off the top of my head... there's IBM Eclipse, which is an IDE platform written in java, and is very popular as a platform to develop development tools on (if that makes any sense) and I've seen some GTK+ and QT requirements for a Linux programmer. As Linux is very popular for embeded devices and in the server market, you can probably expect to find most job offers requiring development for products popular in these markets, so for embedded systems that would be tools and systems programming, and for the servers familiarity with apache and mysql may be required. This is just my speculation though. Have a look here: http://jobsearch.monster.com/Search..._units=miles&pg=1&indid=33&vw=b&occ=660.11969

15. daryljamesod

daryljamesod

We've got some real-time developer trends that might help. These indicate where the freelance opportunities are and where they've been.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice