1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Programming

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by lonesome_wolf2000, May 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lonesome_wolf2000

lonesome_wolf2000 Thread Starter

Hi, I'm wanting to learn to do some programming. I just need to know where I can get the stuff to do it with. What exactly do I need? Recommendations? Where can I get it? I'm really wanting to learn how to do this. Please help.

P.S. I've done some minor basic programming, but i want to learn to be able to write major programs. Or at least the steps I need to take to be able to write decent programs. Anything will help. I've writtin small programs to return text results, but I want to do more, like learn a little about making games, apps, etc.

2. YSB

YSB

Well, I guess the first thing you would have to do is decide what language you want to learn. C,C++, Java, Visual Basic, Delphi, HTML, etc. The next step would be to get a compiler for the language of your choice. For some languages you can get compilers free on the internet for others you would have to purchase them.

The next step would be to decide how you want to learn. On your own or in a class? If you want to take a course, look around for a local program. There are many programs out there where you can learn a programming language in a few months. The downside of this is that they tend to be expensive. Your other option is to study by yourself. This doesn't work for everyone but it has worked for many. The next step in this case would be to buy a good book on the language of your choice. There are many available at Amazon.com or a local computer/book store.

As to which language to choose, that is a hard question to answer. If you want to start relatively easy I might go with Visual Basic. It's not the most powerful language out there but, for a beginner, you can do some pretty cool stuff pretty early in. There are some books you can buy that come with a student version of VB included. The full version would cost you some nice money but the student version has more than enough to get you started.

If you would rather go for a more powerful language you can choose from C, C++ or Java. Each have pros and cons. Java is a pretty hot language now but C might be easier. In all cases, unlike VB, you have to know quite a bit to really do anything cool. Knowing them well though (especially Java) could lead to a good job. These might also be your choice if you prefer a good challenge to easy results. A lot of resources for these languages can be found on the net including compilers and sample code.

There are also many other languages to choose from. Maybe someone else here will chip in with more options for you.

Good luck and let us know how things go! :)

3. lonesome_wolf2000

lonesome_wolf2000 Thread Starter

I've decided to go with C/C++. Now, are there any online, tutorials i can look at/follow. And I just downloaded the free borland c++ builder/compiler, is that what i need? or do i need something else?

4. MacFromOK

MacFromOK

Unless you're wanting to do some really
    heavy duty programming, I'd check out

http://www.dialogscript.com/uk/qtour.html

You can be programming in a few hours
    instead of a few days or weeks.

[Edited by MacFromOK on 06-08-2001 at 03:22 PM]

5. gottaknow

gottaknow

Well, this one wont get it in a few hours but its worth a look.

http://library.thinkquest.org/3074/?tqskip=1

For the others, is it possible to compile through windows or must I download one and where is a good free one for easy stuff?

6. maxim

maxim Account Closed

If you are a Linux/UNIX user, I reccomend a nice little language called python. It is well designed, and flexible. You can get a free interpreter (It is like a compiler) at python.org. I think the best thing about python is that it is easy to pick up on, you can do big projects with it, and it is portable on any OS! It is an excellent language for a newbie at programming. I use it, and I am only 14! :)

--maxim

7. gottaknow

gottaknow

:rolleyes:

People like you make me feel old and stupid. :)

w98se

8. maxim

maxim Account Closed

Hey, don't feel bad. I am still a newbie at it. I can barely write simple math programs. Come to think of it, I even have trouble at that...

--maxim

-------------------------------
    Here's a lame joke:

Q: What is Microsoft's favorite game?

A: Monopoly!

--Man I crack myself up...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/44278

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice