Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Programs Are Closing Themselves

819 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  DyingToLive8 
#1 ·
The other day I was burning a CD on RealOne Player and all of a sudden, the window closed out. First, I thought there was just some kind of weird, minor mishap. But later, I tried opening AOL instant messenger and it stayed open for 3 seconds and closed out. This also happened with RealOne, and my attempts to Install a newer version (2004) of Nortons Antivirus only lasted until the "Would you like to activate and register now?" screen, which was 3 seconds into installation. Something keeps closing my programs. I also cannot stay long in the Add/Remove Files window. I just installed Bullgard and it detected:

C:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT\00008457.EXE=>(FSG 1.33)

in which the file was "infected" and was unable to be disinfected. Nortons 2003 did not pick this up. Is there any other way I can rid my programs of closing themselves

#2 ·
Agobot.3.Gen appears to be a virus, and it is likely blocking your attempts to update Norton.

You might try the on-line virus scan at Trend Micro to see if you can detect and eliminate it.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Also, I am not really a security expert. If Trend Micro does not solve your problem, you may want to hit the "report" link at the top right of each post in the thread, and ask the moderators to move this thread to the "security" forum. There are others who frequent that forum who are more familiar with virus and other security issues.

#6 ·
"Agobot is an IRC-controlled backdoor with network spreading capabilities. When spreading it can exploit several vulnerabilities:

- RPC/DCOM (MS03-026)

- RPC/Locator (MS03-001)

- WebDAV (MS03-007)"

Found this at:
http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/agobot.shtml

Basically, the MS03-xxx means that microsoft released some patches to correct some of the problems this virus caused. Go to www.windowsupdate.com run a scan and install all critical patches.

This could correct the problem, im not sure. Norton should detect it, did you update norton before scannins?

#7 ·
Nortons 2003 didn't detect it... and as a matter of fact was one of the programs that the virus auto-closed. But after BullGuard located the viruses and placed them in the "Infected" folder, I dragged them (3) into my WipeInfo program and now all problems seem to be gone. I also just installed Nortons 2004, hopefully that keeps things in check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.