1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Programs crashing all the time since re-installing Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ozzymgaowozzy, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozzymgaowozzy

ozzymgaowozzy Thread Starter

Hi,

Here's the situation:
    I'm a self employed flash games developer, and I am currently working on quite a monstrous game.
    I use a program called Flash CS3.
    My entire game is within a single file (due to the old scripting method i unfortunately chose to build this game with, the most practical way to build it is within a single file). It's around 350MB big (This is very extreme for a flash source file when there's very little audio and bitmaps)

Everyday, I work on this game. I've learnt to live with the sporadic crashing (maybe every 1-2 weeks I'd lose something fairly significant, but I usually manage to crash the program daily)

Recently though, I reinstalled the operating system, and since then it's been crashing when i ask it to do the intensive tasks it could previously cope with.
    There's certainly been a sudden change since i reinstalled the OS and all other the software.

It's making work very hard, and causing it to go slower than ever.

I've noticed that many other intensive programs have been crashing alot more recently, not just Flash.

Here are some things I've noticed:
    - I have 4GB of RAM installed. Before i reinstalled the OS, my RAM used to display as 4GB when I looked at the system properties (I think... I'm not certain about this, but i think I'm right) but n ow, it just displays as 2.93GB.
    - Whenever I check my task manager to see how much memory Flash is using during some very strenuous task, it never goes above 70% (resulting in a maximum of 2GB actually working on my programs)
    - I've got the BSOD 3 times within the week when booting up.
    - Flash has been asking me to allocate more virtual memory (not sure how to do this, but shouldn't it be using the left over RAM before eating up some virtual memory?)

My system specs are as follows:
    Vista 32bit
    2x 2.66GHz
    4GB ram installed (displays as 2.93GB though)

It's been a problem for a while now, but now it's become too big to sidestep.
    I believe Flash is a very reliable program, but i've managed to crash it so many times it's well into triple figures...
    I don't mind if it takes a while to do things, I just don't want it crashing this crazily. I believe this is an issue all to do with the memory.

I wish I could give more helpful details on the problem, because i know it's little to go on, but if someone could suggest to me what's going on I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

-Tom

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

After the reinstall, were the motherboard chipset drivers reinstalled as well? And have you upgraded to the latest service pack?

I don't think the memory representation is an issue -- as it is probably decrementing memory used by the BIOS or Graphics drivers; the full memory should be reported in the latest Service Pack >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946003/

For BSODs, can you do this >>

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

If you do not see any minidumps, be sure you are not using any cache cleaner such as CCleaner. Also run sysdm.cpl and select Advanced > Startup and Recovery. Make sure "small memory dump" is the one chosen under "write debugging information" and the location should be %systemroot%\minidump

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would also recommend "Clean Boot" troubleshooting to rule out most basic program (rather than hardware or chipset) issues >>

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup items" on the general page.

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in “selective” startup mode – you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

>> writen for Vista but applies just as well to XP

--------------------------------------------------------

I would recommend either using the System or Windows Managed option for Virtual memory >>

http://www.windowsreference.com/win...ze-of-virtual-memory-page-file-size-in-vista/
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-the-size-of-virtual-memory

However you can also increase the "Custom" options.

3. ozzymgaowozzy

Thank you very very much :)

I've attached the last 2 dumps.
    Just this moment i've had a blue screen of death... Very annoying.

I will try the "Clean Boot" troubleshooting later today, I can't right now though.

I'm a little afraid about updating the chipset drivers, because my system is overclocked.
    I have a dual core 1.66ghz overclocked each to 2.66ghz
    In my bios, i select a bios profile, "profile 2".

I'm afraid updating the drivers might remove this profile, resulting in a loss of 2ghz...
    Maybe if you could re-assure me this won;t happen, then I will consider it.
    Unfortunately, I bought this computer and paid a little extra for the overclock, so i have no idea how to restore it if i lost it.

Thanks so much for your help.

-Tom

4. ozzymgaowozzy

Oh, and also, I forgot to update this post a couple days ago when I posted this on a parallel topic on another forum.
    I can't be bothered to change it so it will be a little out of context:

just a few minutes a go I just tested.
    I didn't run mum test, but just checked the bios.
    First, i took out all my ram. I have two 1GB and one 2GB.
    I put the 2gb in first - displays 2gb in bios.
    I put one 1gb in, it displays 3 GB
    I put the second 1gb in, it displays 3GB.

So, to see if the stick was faulty I removed all the ram again and tried it in a different order.
    I put the two 1gb in, it displays 2 GB
    I put the 2gb in, it displays 3gb in bios.

It definitely seems as though it is limitting my memory somewhere.
    The ram sticks are fine.

I've just this second installed CPU-Z, and it displays 4GB are installed.
    Apparently, my 2GB stick (one i bought seperately, the other 2 came installed) is 400mhz, while the others are 333mhz...

Anyway, that wouldn't explain why I've lost memory.
    How can I fix it though.
    And before anyone suggests so, this is not the "Vista shows 3gb but I installed 4gb" argument, because in all of those cases, the bios actually recognises all 4gb, but the system properties display 3gb.
    However, it is strange that CPU-Z shows it correctly...

Strange huh?

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Please reset your overclocking to the defaults as this only complicates the issue. You will need to reinstall chipset drivers after a clean install in any case. Overclocking can cause overheating -- and overheating can actually slow the processor to reduce heat (Intel chips do this by design)

Stick with testing matched pairs of ram and make sure you follow the motherboard manual's directions for selecting the right matched slots for the ram type.

Ozzy your dumps are not attached. Don't know whether this was a problem on our end or yours.

But ensure that you wait until you see the prompt to "close" the attachment window --you should see the attachment listed in the post if successful.

Also just copy the last few dumps if there are a lot of them -- otherwise the file size may be too big.

6. ozzymgaowozzy

Strange... I definitely closed the window.
    Is it working now?

Attached Files:

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

These are the two basic bugchecks. As you can see one is associated with your display driver. The other is a core system memory management driver.

Both could be caused by overclocking.

You also have Daemon Tools or other cloning ware in the picture -- which could be a problem.

I would reset the overclocking to the default and see if the problem continues.

See the coverage here >> http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=65161

8. ozzymgaowozzy

Err, get rid of 2ghz for a try? I'd rather not :/
    I'd rather live with it in that case.

This is a problem that is very hard to test.
    I could turn off my overclocking and have it good for a few days, but that isn't proof enough.
    It's running quite smoothe atm, no crashes the last couple days.
    Also, it would surely make doing Flash even more of a headache than it already is.

Thanks, but sorry I can't do that.
    Also, why did this problem become much more worse after my recent re-install of windows?
    It surely triggered this.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Other than a failure to install chipset drivers and possible heat related degradation, I don't know. The overclocking is your choice -- but if you are overheating, you will be shortening the life of your components over time. It will also make ram mismatches more of an issue under stress.

10. ozzymgaowozzy

Interestingly, after just installing Vista SP2, my ram now correctly displays 4GB.
    No problems since the Blue Screen.
    Well, no serious problems.
    For some reason If i ever restart the computer or turn it off and then on again, it usually won't do anything. It'll just stay at a black screen doing completely nothing.
    Sometimes i have to restart 10 times until it starts working... It's like a chainsaw engine.
    Also, while installing SP2, my computer turned slowly into a jet.
    The fan jost got faster and louder untili got quite scared, and the red light on the front of the computer was flashing like crazy.
    It was at stage 3, 73% and in the end i just had to switch it off, the noise was too serious.
    After restarting, it happened again, slowly it got louder and faster....
    So after another restart and many failed restarts in between, it started up and i didn't get the huge noise from the fans.

I'm getting a new computer in June, so I'm not too bothered about getting these problems fixed. This one's starting to show it's age now... Not that it's particularly slow or anything, it's just unpredictable.

I've got a senile compooter.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice