Programs for improving Download speed?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gary R

my comp uses a 56Kb Intel HaM Modem, and general download speed ranges between 4.9 & 5.2 Kb/sec. with a connect speed of 49333 bps, but slower than that at times; for example it took 54 minutes to download Adobe Reader 5.0, a 8.1 Mb file :(
:
SO, I am wondering if there's a (freeware?) program (non-adware!) compatible with W98SE (Ver. 4.10.2222A), Internet Explorer 5.50 that would improve the download speed a bit.
:
:NOTE ... file download's will begin with a speed around 6.9 to 8 kb/sec, but as the program loads the speed drops steadily, & by time it gets to the 30% point or so the speed has dropped to the 4.9 - 5.2 Kb/sec level. The drop occurs no matter how large a download is :(

Gary R

Ok thanks for info re the program, will give it a try.
--
I was talking to a Tech at a computer store a few days before I posted my question about download speeds, & he said in effect, "All Dial-ups are slow, the best you can do with any 56K dialer is 6 or 7 Kb/second, so don't worry about it."
I didn't quite agree with his assessment of the situation....

Gary R

Ouch! re speed from the articles :(
--
Looks like I'd have to get cable if I want to improve things--if I could afford it :)
$50 (US) per month (about 124 Guilders if the currency chart I found is correct), & $150 hookp fee's charged locally...

the d/l manager from Fresh Devices probably won't increase your speed, but it will resume broken d/ls, something windows default should do, but does not. ...Rhett

This here is for cable but says it will increased the data transfer by 40 times.

http://www.affiliated-network.com/speed/index.html

Not free but cost $14.95 and you get it says...

"Surf Faster than a speeding bullet... or DOUBLE your money back!"

Email and ask if it help with a dial up modem.

hehe had to post that image.:D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online