1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Programs freeze and I can't force close them

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by flofs, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flofs

flofs Thread Starter

I've been having this problem recently where a program freezes/stops responding (it was Chrome before, but it happened with Discord as well) and I have to close it using the task manager. Upon force closing it, it creates a background process with the same name and icon and all. This process is unclosable, no matter what I try, using the command prompt, using the task manager, it will NOT close. Reopening the program results in it freezing again, before it even starts. For example, Chrome gets a white screen, Discord doesn't even start, Spotify gets a black screen... Closing the program again creates another background process. After the first program freezes, all other programs that I try to open do the same exact thing. Creating more background processes. While this happens, I cannot do anything. Restarting the computer, shutting down the computer, signing out, they all result in the computer freezing and me having to force shut it down. If I press ctrl+alt+delete, I am greeted with a black screen that I can get out of by pressing esc. After about 10 minutes, my computer freezes anyway, forcing me to shut it down using the button on the computer. This is really annoying, and seems to happen randomly. I'd really like some help, as I've googled this issue numerous times and I can't seem to find ANYTHING on the subject. Thank you.

specs:
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU
    AMD FX-6300 28 °C
    Vishera 32nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A97 R2.0 (Socket 942) 28 °C
    Graphics
    LCD TV ([email protected])
    2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (C.P. Technology) 38 °C
    Storage
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-75M2NA0 (SATA) 27 °C
    Optical Drives
    TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    What do the system logs in Event Viewer show is occurring?

As it's various apps, I'd suspect a hardware fault such as RAM, power supply, or HDD.

3. flofs

flofs Thread Starter

It's hard to tell, since I'm having a new problem now where my computer freezes up, and unfreezes for half a second every 5 seconds, updating the screen every 5 seconds. And if I manage to click the power off button after a few minutes of trying, it just freezes the PC and I have to force shut it down again. For what I'm seeing recently, as in, when it just crashed in this new way 5 minutes ago, there's a lot of stuff. Information, errors, critical errors. I'll copy some of the errors.
    "The BstHdDrv service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified."

"The COM+ Event System service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 1000 milliseconds: Restart the service."

"The Function Discovery Provider Host service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s)."

"The Windows Font Cache Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service."

"The Network List Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 100 milliseconds: Restart the service."

"The Network Store Interface Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Restart the service."

"The Diagnostic Service Host service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s)."

"The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: Restart the service."

"The Service Control Manager tried to take a corrective action (Restart the service) after the unexpected termination of the Windows Font Cache Service service, but this action failed with the following error: An instance of the service is already running."

"The Service Control Manager tried to take a corrective action (Restart the service) after the unexpected termination of the Network Store Interface Service service, but this action failed with the following error:
    An instance of the service is already running."

"The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}
    and APPID
    {F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}
    to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool."

"The previous system shutdown at 10:48:54 PM on ‎3/‎11/‎2017 was unexpected."

This is when I force shut it down ^
    These are the errors I have so far, since rebooting it.

"The BstHdDrv service failed to start due to the following error:

"The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}
    and APPID
    {F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}
    to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool."

4. flofs

flofs Thread Starter

My PC is a prebuilt from iBuyPower.com. I heard they use crappy PSUs. Could that be the case? I've had problems in the past that have pointed to my PSU being ****.

5. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Power issues can cause all kinds of erratic behavior, errors, or other hardware damage.

Will the system boot into Safe Mode?

If you have access to a second PC, you may want to pull the HDD and connect it to the second PC for testing. I bring up HDD testing as the first error each time indicates a missing file: "The BstHdDrv service failed to start due to the following error:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1186562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice