Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

programs launch slow after reboot

3K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  Miqw7394 
#1 ·
I'm cleaning/tuning up a friend's pc and, after rebooting, programs are slow to open--Firefox, IE, any program in Programs List, etc. Once I've clicked on one and wait for it to open, it closes normally. After opening/closing a few, then the pc starts opening/closing progs. better, but not acceptable. However, once opened, using them is a wait and see (hesitations, browser pages taking forever to display and change, typing in Word hesitates, navigation in programs is "stuttery", etc.) Bootup and shutdown times are acceptable. Below are some of the things that I've done to try to solve this problem:

Auslogics--defragged & optimized
ran Windows Disk Cleanup
ran Error Checking on c:\--all OK
ran Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, Superantispyware, Ccleaner--all OK now
ran Avast full system scan and boot time scan--OK
turned of all startup entries except Avast with Ccleaner
turned of all unneeded services via services.msc at blackviper.com
Sysinternals Process Explorer with the larger values shows:
Avast Service--103,468KB
Avast Antivirus--272,876KB
Firefox--272,876KB
Task Manager shows:
no unusual processes
Commit Charge
Total--576976
Limit--2519648
Peak--630320
I have to admit that I'm as dumb as a box of rocks on the Process Explorer and Task Manager readings, but in my research some helpers seem to be interested in these.

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions that I haven't tried yet. It's probably something simple and obvious, but I can't find out what's causing it. It seems to me that something is running in the background and is causing this behavior. Thanks in advance.

Dell Dimension 2400, 2.4Ghz, 1GB RAM
Windows XP Home Edition SP3
Avast free

See less See more
#2 ·
The Dell Dimension 2400 desktop supports up to 2 GB of DDR333/DDR400 RAM.
Since it currently has only 1 GB, I would max it out with 2 GB.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Let's see what the startup list and services list looks like so we can reduce the list of running processes.

Click Start, then type MSCONFIG in the search or run box, then press the Enter key.
When the small "System Configuration Utility" window appears, click the "Startup" tab.
Write down ONLY the names in the "Startup Item" column that have a checkmark next to them.
If the "Startup Item" column isn't wide enough to see the entire name of any of them, widen the column.
Submit those names here in a vertical list.
Make sure to spell them EXACTLY as you see them there.

Click Start, then type SERVICES.MSC in the search or run box, then press the Enter key.
When the "Services" window appears, expand it so you can see the list more clearly.
Write down ONLY the names in the "Name" column that have their startup type set on Automatic.
If the "Name" column isn't wide enough to see the entire name of any of them, widen the column.
Submit those names here in a vertical list and in alphabetical order.
Make sure to spell them correctly.

#3 ·
flavalee, I agree, and, if it was mine, I'd bump up the RAM, but she won't spend the $ for more since the pc is older, although RAM is affordable.

In Msconfig, I've already turned everything off except:
AVASTUI
In services.msc, I've been through these all and left these as automatic:
Automatic Updates
Avast Antivirus
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Computer Browser
CryptSvc
DCOM Server Process Launcher
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Event Log
IPSEC Services
Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0 30319_X86
Plug and Play
Print Spooler
Protected Storage
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Security Accounts Manager
Security Center
Server
Shell Hardware Detection
System Event Notification
System Restore Service
Task Scheduler
Themes
Windows Audio
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
Windows Management Instrumentation
Windows Zero Configuration
Workstation

#4 ·
Set the "Startup Type" in these service entries to Manual:
Automatic Updates
Background Intelligence Transfer Service
Computer Browser
Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0 30319_X86
Windows Zero Configuration
(only if that desktop is NOT using a wireless connection)

Set Network Connections on Automatic.

Windows XP no longer receives security updates, so there's no need for Automatic Updates and Background Intelligence Transfer Service to be set on Automatic and always start.

--------------------------------------------------------------

#5 ·
OK, that little chore is done. I'm aware that XP no longer updates, and considered turning Auto Updates & Background Intelligent Transfer Service to manual, but thought I'd better wait for a guru to give the go ahead.

#6 ·
As slow as the Intel Pentium IV 2.40 GHz processor in that old desktop is
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Number

and with it having only 1 GB of DDR RAM, I would do a few other things to speed it up.
You probably won't agree with me though, especially since someone else is using it, and who I'm guessing isn't computer-knowledgeable.

#7 ·
flavalee, I've cleaned/tuned up pc's for a long time, and am, by no means, an expert. That's why I'm here for help. lol She is not pc literate at all--if it boots up to the desktop where she can get online with it for Facebook, surfing, etc., and do a little word processing, then she's happy with it. You could've planted potatoes in my lap when I blew the dust out of it. That's an indication of how much maintenance is done on it. Hadn't been defragged in ****'s age (if ever).
My irk with it tho, is that it shouldn't stumble and falter every time I want to open and navigate a browser or a program. Something's not right with it. Anyway, if I (we) can get 'er to open programs and then use 'em, then I'll tell her to come and get it out of my hair. So if you've got any more suggestions, I'm ready to continue.

#8 ·
She is not pc literate at all
I pretty much expected that was the case.
if you've got any more suggestions, I'm ready to continue
Set these 2 services to Manual or Disabled:
Security Accounts Manager
Security Center

then tell her to ignore the warning about it not running.

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties, then select the General tab.
Does it show the processor running at its rated 2.40 GHz speed or at a noticeably slower speed?
You could've planted potatoes in my lap when I blew the dust out of it
If the inside of the case had THAT much dust in it, make sure the processor's heat sink/cooling fan unit isn't still clogged with dust.
If it is, you may need to remove the cooling fan to properly clean the heatsink.

#9 ·
Gotcha on the Security Accounts Manager & Security Center. I need to edit my original post about processor speed. It's a 1.80Ghz running at 1.79Ghz. Yup, I made sure that ALL dust was gone by taking out the fan and cleaning the heat sink.

#10 ·
I need to edit my original post about processor speed. It's a 1.80Ghz running at 1.79Ghz.
Ouch! That 1.80 GHz is about 30% slower than the 2.40 GHz - which was already too slow. :(
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Circle

Yup, I made sure that ALL dust was gone by taking out the fan and cleaning the heat sink.
Okay, good. (y)

This may sound like a drastic step(which I've done), but if she isn't doing anything sensitive in that computer, such as on-line banking or credit card purchases, you might consider getting rid of the antivirus program.
As long as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware are kept up-to-date and a threat scan/quick scan is run every 7 - 14 days to remove whatever is found, she should be okay.
These are the 2 that I use(along with AdwCleaner) in my computers and in the ones that I service.

#12 ·
Frank, thanks for the suggestion, but I think she does some online shopping so ditching Avast isn't an option. Besides, she couldn't/wouldn't defrag the thing, let alone keep definitions up to date and scan with them every so often.

I think the pc was made around '04 or '05. Service tag is: 7BXX261

Just a thought--I wonder if trying a different A/V might make a difference? I'm thinking maybe Avira just to experiement. I'll wait for your thoughts first tho.

#13 ·
I think she does some online shopping so ditching Avast isn't an option
Whether she has an antivirus program or not, it's not going to make any difference if she's using an outdated unsecure browser for on-line shopping.
Hopefully, she's not using Internet Explorer 8 and is using a supported and secure browser, such as Mozilla Firefox 47.
By the way, Mozilla Firefox is dropping support in March 2017 for Windows XP.
I think the pc was made around '04 or '05. Service tag is: 7BXX261
THIS is her Dell Dimension 2400 desktop.
It shipped in November 2004 in the U.S.A., so it's almost 12 years old.
According to its specifications list, it came with an Intel Celeron 2.40 GHz processor.
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Number

#16 · (Edited)
Hi, empty_pocket. Saw your post over on BC about this one.

I agree with Frank:-

Quote:-

"With the hardware it has, it's going to have the speed and performance of a turtle."

True. But the P4's were amazing old CPUs for their time; it all depends on how much of a hurry you're in.....and what your definition of 'slow' is.

I know this much; I have an elderly Dell Inspiron laptop, an original 1100 from 2002-3. It came with XP Home when we bought it direct from Dell (yes, that was how Dell worked in those days!) It came with a 2.2 GHz Celeron (socket 478), and 128 MB of RAM. And a 20 GB HDD!

It was painfully slow (though at that time, I didn't know much about the 'techie' side of things.....I've only developed an interest in that stuff in recent years).

It's recently been upgraded to 1 GB of RAM (max the motherboard will take), a 2.6 GHz 'proper' P4, and a 64 GB IDE/PATA SSD from KingSpec. I re-installed XP (yet again), but eventually came to the conclusion that XP was just too much for the hardware.

So I scrapped XP for good. She now runs 'Puppy' Linux, which I will recommend to anyone who is still running XP-era hardware.

http://puppylinux.com/

(I still run XP on my 'big' Compaq desktop PC (along with a 'kennel-full' of 'Puppies') but that has a lot more 'grunt'..!)

If you know your way around a computer, and aren't afraid of re-installing an OS, in less than 1/2 an hour you can have a system that will do everything your lady friend wants to do.....and which will run a darn sight faster, into the bargain, as the whole OS (only 200-250 MB in total) loads into RAM.....which is the fastest component in any system by far.

No need for AV, anti-malware and all that junk; the 'Puppy' firewall will take care of any crap the internet can chuck at you!

I make this suggestion in all seriousness, since the specs of the machine in question are similar to my old Dell.....and 'Puppy' has transformed that out of all recognition. The more so, since by your own admission, the lady in question doesn't want to spend any money on it...

If you need any advice, the 'Puppy' forums are the place to get it. You'll find me there under the same name.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php

Entirely your decision, of course. Just a practical idea for extending the life of elderly hardware, which 'Puppy' has always had a reputation for being good at! And the set-up is very like XP, with the taskbar/tray at the bottom of the screen, and the 'Menu' exactly where you'd expect to find it...

Hope that's 'food for thought'.

Mike. ;)

#17 ·
Many thanks for your suggestion Mike. This is something along the lines of what I've been thinkin' in the back of my mind. I'd like to come up with a solution to the issue in Windows first, as most of the work I get has been people with Windows.

I've dabbled with Linux in the past (way in the past), and my neighbor swears by Linux. He tells me that one can customize a Linux OS of one's choice to look and feel almost identical to Win XP, and that would be a plus because I wouldn't have to teach her how to use a pc again. lol He's recommended a couple of distro's, but Puppy seems to fit the bill here.

A couple of questions, if you don't mind. Are most Win programs that she might be interested in, installable via Wine? I don't know what they'd be as she's not a power user--I think maybe Facebook, some word processing, surfing the net, etc. I know that she could use Libre Office, Firefox, Gimp, Audacity, and such to get things done that she might want to do in Windows, and I know from experience that Linux is a LOT easier on the nerves about drivers (I LOVE that). And since Gates doesn't support XP anymore, now might be the time for her to get her feet wet with Linux Puppy. I just didn't want to dump something completely "foreign" on her.

Also, the last time I played with Linux, the terminals for updates, etc., made me scratch my head sometimes. Neighbor tells me that's a thing of the past, more or less.

I guess I could install it as a dual boot on this box, and show her how that works (simple). Again, for my own knowledge, I'd really like to get to the guts of this Windows issue so that I'll know the solution to for future reference. But if we can't, you've given me a Linux version that I think she should be able to use. Thanks again Mike.

#18 · (Edited)
Hi again, empty_pockets. (I love that handle; it describes my own situation a lot of the time.....one of the main reasons MS won't get another penny out of me!)

Okay. WINE. Well, it's a good thing in concept.....in practice, it's something of a mixed blessing. Not all programs will run under WINE. Some run very well indeed; others, not so well. Some won't run at all!

The best way, really, to see whether a particular program will work with WINE is to go to the WINE HQ site, and browse through the database.

https://appdb.winehq.org/

Just click on 'Browse Apps' in the left-hand panel. One tip; set the filter to show the maximum of 200 per page, instead of the default of 25; there's a lot of stuff there, so you'll be able to work your way through it quicker!

Everything has one of 5 classifications.....from 'Garbage' (doesn't work at all), through 'Bronze', 'Silver', 'Gold', and up to 'Platinum' (which works perfectly). Click on any entry, and you'll get all the reviews and opinions on that app.

I don't know what browser your friend prefers. FireFox is available, as you say. So is Chrome, if she's used to that. I, myself, package the 64-bit versions of this for the Puppy community; Google dropped support for 32-bit Chrome back at version 48, but I still use the very last release of this in my 32-bit Pups. If you want a current, 32-bit 'version' of Chrome, I would highly recommend the SlimJet browser.

www.slimjet.com

It's based on the Chromium open-source browser (which is where Google get the source-code for Chrome, anyway!) It's released in 32-bit & 64-bit versions. I package the 64-bit version of SlimJet, too; an acquaintance on the Forums does likewise for the 32-bit version. I can't recommend this browser highly enough; if you have a Google a/c, just sign in, and everything works as normal. They've paid a lot of attention to the privacy side of things, too.....one area where Google is highly criticised over Chrome, with its constant 'phoning home'.

I run MS's Office 2000, and Adobe's Photoshop (again, an elderly version; CS2) under WINE. They work perfectly, too; largely because these versions are out-of-date, therefore no longer evolving, so the bugs have been sorted out long since. But they're still perfectly serviceable.

As for updates, hm. Puppy is unlike most other Linux distros. Ubuntu, in particular, is trying its hardest to become the 'Windows' of the Linux ecosystem. Updates are continuous & never-ending.....but 95% of them are just updates for the sake of updates; they're not really necessary at all. I started with Ubuntu myself; within days I thought I'd re-installed Windows, there were so many of the darn things! But ex-Windows users see all these updates, and they're reassured.....'cos they're used to them.

They're not really necessary, though.....

Puppy is pretty well community-driven. There are regular, new releases; the current ones are Tahrpup and Tahrpup64; these are based on Ubuntu's 14.04 'Trusty Tahr' long-term support release. And there's 'Slacko' 6.3.0 & 'Slacko64' 6.3.0.....these are based on Slackware (current version 14.1/14.2).....one of the oldest Linux distros still going. But because Puppy is the work of a very small number of unpaid volunteers, it doesn't have the back-up of, say, Ubuntu with the parent company, Canonical, where's there's a full-time, paid staff. So the Puppy membership do their own maintenance work; we take care of it between us. Works, too; there's new versions of stuff being released by forum members all the time. By & large, though, the old maxim applies with Puppy; 'if it ain't broke.....'

The terminal, these days, is largely a matter of choice. Most things have a GUI now.....but just sometimes, the terminal is far quicker & more powerful. But you don't have to use it; many Linux users never go near the terminal at all.....and Puppy is nothing if not 'user-friendly'; there's 'wizards' and 'tool-tips' galore.

Top & bottom of it is this; Puppy is every bit as capable of being your 'daily driver' as any other Linux distro.....and Windows, too. I've been using it exclusively for over 18 months now; I don't miss Windows at all. Most of Pup's users are simply trying to keep old hardware going, any way they can.....and we all know how 'bloated' Windows has become, over the years (largely due to forcing hardware manufacturers to keep up with 'em). And if your friend's machine can boot from USB, then you don't even need to 'dual-boot'; stick Puppy on a flash-drive, and run it from there!

Simples!

Mike. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.