1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Programs listed on pc

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by moosescooter, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moosescooter

moosescooter Thread Starter

On my Vista, the programs listed in Programs are different than the programs listed in Uninstall/change ....
    What is the difference between the programs in the two listings and what determines where a program is listed?
    Thank you.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    In Windows XP, your installed programs are in "Add Or Remove Programs" in the Control Panel.

In Windows Vista, your installed programs are in "Programs And Features" in the Control Panel.

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. moosescooter

1. I assume you mean the programs I added after Vista was installed are listed in Programs and Features

2. What are programs listed in All Programs?

Thank you.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    "Start - All Programs" is the list of the programs that came in your computer and the programs that you subsequently installed.

The default start menu in Windows Vista looks noticably different than it does in Windows XP, so it takes some getting used to.

I have my Vista start menu set up in classic mode to look like earlier Windows versions. It's something that you might consider doing if it'll make it easier for you to navigate the start menu.

Right-click the "Start" button, then click Properties. When the window appears, click the "Start Menu" tab, select "Classic start menu", then click Apply - OK.

-------------------------------------------------------------

5. moosescooter

Thank you.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

All installed programs in any OS should be listed in Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs whether thay came installed or you installed them and they should also be in the Program menu. There are options in most installs though where you or the builder may have accidentally opted to not put a listing in "programs" but nevertheless everything should be in the listing in Control Panel if the program installed through the Registry and not every program does, though most do.

7. moosescooter

Rich-M,

I reinstalled Vista using standard reinstallation

After installing the os, I installed drivers, security suite, MicrosoftWorks, and I scheduled Windows Updates and TrendMicro updates.

Now the programs listed in Programs and the programs listed on the Uninstall/Change window don't match.

For example the following are some of the programs listed in Uninstall/Change... that are not listed in Programs:
    Adobe Flash Player...
    Digital line Detect
    Compatability Pack for 2007 Office System
    Intel Graphics media acelerator driver

Conversely, following are some programs listed in Programs that are not listed in Install/Change... window:
    Intenet Explorer
    Microsoft Works Task Launcher
    Windows Calendar

I'm trying to learn what determines where a program is listed.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Oh well Adobe flash player is not a prgram you can run nor is Digital Line detect and the Intel entry is a driver. Drivers are not listed as programs because they are software but not programs that have utility you can enter. The Compatibility Pack should be somewhere in Ms Office listing though.
    IE is part of the OS and as such cannot be uninstalled and the Task Launcher for Works is a component of the Ms Works program but by itself may not be uninstalled. Windows Calendar again is installed by Windows and is not uninstallable as aprogram.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    moosescooter:

Everything in Start - All Programs will not be listed in "Programs And Features".

Everything in "Programs And Features" will not be listed in Start - All Programs.

Try not to let that confuse or irritate you. ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------

10. moosescooter

Rich-M, thanks for the explinations. They help me understand the situations.

11. moosescooter

Thanks flavallee.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/869446

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice