1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Programs Not Listed In Add/remove Programsr

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by geektobe, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geektobe

geektobe Thread Starter

I am curious about why programs on my work computer are not listed in the add or remove programs in control panel (XP). This has caused me a few problems in the pasts when I need to delete programs and had to find the software supplier on a website to give me an uninstall program. There are many programs not listed. e.g windows office

2. rka0

rka0 Banned

3. geektobe

geektobe Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply rka01
    However, I do not think this is the problem. I do not have any strange programs/folders listed in the add/remove programs and I often remove adware/malware with CCleaner. I will get a list tomorrow of what is listed versus installed on the computer.

4. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

A work computer is usually set up by the IT department to be maintainable by them, not by the user.

5. geektobe

geektobe Thread Starter

Okay
    My IT dept. is 2500 miles away and not interested in my piddily problem.

6. devil_himself

devil_himself

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Question about the term work computer. Is this a computer owned by you and you just call it a work computer because you work on it?

Or is it a real work computer owned by a company that you work for? Iit does not matter how far away the IT department is.

8. geektobe

geektobe Thread Starter

Thanks devil_himself, ozrom1e:

To devil.. I will have to look into the regedit to see if they are purposely hidden,
    To ozro1e... no I do not own this computer but IT (in Vancouver) has enough trouble or trying to get a new printer to print invoices over the LAN (taking forever).Soooo, I am reluctant to ask for that help now.
    Programs such as Windows Xp ,SP2, and all the updates, Windows Office, are not listed in the add/remove while most of the small programs that I installed are listed (except UPS connect).

Actually the program that I wanted to uninstall (UPS connect), I just reinstalled over top of the previous install and it seemed to work today but not Friday. Perhaps I did not restart the computer until Monday so the program was fixed (to write to the new print ) and I did not know it.
    I still would like to understand why these programs are not listed. Thanks

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!