1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Programs not starting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mors, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mors

Mors Thread Starter

I reacently instaled Win xp pro and after finishing the installation installing a anitiviris program i went on the internet to download some programs such as adaware and now when i try to start a program nothing happens and i have done numerous viris scans and adaware scans and nothing helps also if i reastart the computer right after it logs on i can run a few programs before it becaomse unreapsonsive also if i disconnect the eithernet cable it seems to run fine some programs that do not run are add reamove programs trillian(messenging program) internet explorer and the programs manager.

2. Mors

Mors Thread Starter

I recently installed Win xp pro and after finishing the installation installing a anitivirus program i went on the Internet to download some programs such as adaware and now when i try to start a program nothing happens and i have done numerous virus scans and ad aware scans and nothing helps also if i restart the computer right after it logs on i can run a few programs before it becomes unresponsive also if i disconnect the eithernet cable it seems to run fine some programs that do not run are add remove programs trillian(messaging program) Internet explorer and the programs manager.

3. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Did you se an XPSP2 CD to do the install? Did you update your AV first and run a scan before attempting anything else?

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

5. Mors

Mors Thread Starter

i did not use a sp2 cd and i did update my antiviris
    well when i try to dl the exe fix the browser freezes and log is:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
    Scan saved at 3:56:26 PM, on 2/3/2005
    Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\APVXDWIN.EXE
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Svhost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\pavsrv51.exe
    C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\pavProxy.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Max\My Documents\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\AVENGINE.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com/
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SCANINICIO] "C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\Inicio.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [APVXDWIN] "C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\APVXDWIN.EXE" /s
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Update] Svhost.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft Update] Svhost.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Update] Svhost.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.c...ls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1107385868891
    O23 - Service: Panda anti-virus service - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\pavsrv51.exe

6. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

Could you give us some of you system specs like processor speed and installed physical memory?

7. Mors

Mors Thread Starter

pentium 3 600 mhz 256 ram 80 gig maxtor hd 7200 rpm intagreated video compaq mobo

8. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

Meets the minimum requirements. Check two things

1) Check how much free space you have left on your drive

2) Open up your Windows Task Manager (press Ctrl+Alt+Del) and click on the preformance tab. Is your CPU Redlined? How about your PF usage?

9. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

You are using Mozilla Firefox Panda and Microsoft do not recognize this browser Use IE to access these sites then go back to Firefox after

10. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

You should also visit Windows updates and download and install ALL critical updates except SP2

11. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Make sure you Panda is updated as it should have caught this

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/svhost/

Print this and boot to safe mode

Fix these with HJT

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Update] Svhost.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft Update] Svhost.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Update] Svhost.exe

View Hidden Files
    Open Windows Explorer. Go to Tools, Folder Options and click on the View tab.
    Make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" is checked.
    Also uncheck "Hide protected operating system files".
    Now click "Apply to all folders", Click "Apply" then "OK"

Delete these files

C:\WINDOWS\System32\Svhost.exe

START – RUN – key in %temp% - Edit – Select all – File – Delete
    Empty the recycle bin
    Boot and post a new log

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Please don't start multiple threads for the same problem, I have merged both of your threads since you have replies in both. KEEP POSTING to this thread until your problem is solved.

13. Mors

Mors Thread Starter

well i have about 60 gigs of free space and my its not readlining the programs that do open open quit fast and to mfd can pleese reexsplain what you said im not sure in what order you want me to do those things thanks also when i try to turn off the computer nothing happens unless i hold the buttion and when the computer reastarts the my computer and ie shorts cuts are gone

14. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

Mors, Follow MFDnSC's advice. He seems to know what is going on right off the bat.

15. Mors

Mors Thread Starter

what is hjt

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!