1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Programs on hard drive showing wrong size

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Korvas, Jan 13, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Korvas

Korvas Thread Starter

Hey everyone, I'm having an unusual issue. I have just recently gotten my desktop up and running and now have noticed an unusual issue. For some reason, a lot of my games are reading as being tremendously bigger than they actually are and it's eating up all of my hard drive space. For example, Geneforge 1, an old Windows game I installed via Steam, Actual install size is 41.7 MB, Windows is seeing it as 8.02 GB. I don't know if this is a hardware issue, or a software issue, because it looks like the games that are having this issue are the ones I installed from Steam. Can anyone render assistance?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

It that 41.1 MB the size of one file? Or is the size of the entire folder? Although I don't know if data files can so big for your old game; does the game download maps and other things? Maybe the setup program is just a stub, like those programs that require the internet to install, like Opera, Chrome etc. The setup.exe is a few MB, but after downloading, the consumed space is larger.

3. Korvas

Korvas Thread Starter

That 41.7 MB is the size of the entire folder, covering all of its game files. Geneforge is a very old game, it was a shareware game released by Spidersoft Inc back in 2001, 18 years ago. All of its sound, music clips, maps, characters, everything, are within that one folder. It doesn't create other files, folders, or need to download anything. If I wanted, I could still buy an original copy from the company and play it on a Windows 98/ME machine and it would work fine and still only take up about 42 MB of hard drive space.

That's why I'm confused about why my PC sees the game as being over 8GB in size, along with all of my other Steam games registering as being absurdly huge (or smaller) than they should be.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is it showing this in Programs and Features? If so simply ignore this estimated value.

5. Korvas

Korvas Thread Starter

I would ignore it, except it's tricking my machine into thinking it has less space than it should. It is showing as being 8.02 GB in the programs list, doesn't that also mean my PC see's that and thinks that space is taken, even if it isn't?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your PC doesn't base anything off the amount display in Programs and Features, it calculates real space used on the disk.

7. tecknurd

tecknurd

STEAM might use a virtual machine or an emulator like DOSBOX in order to run the game on today's computers. Have you compare the file contents from your Win98 computer to the one install through STEAM. Probably STEAM is storing extra data about the game. Have tried to enable to show hidden files. Old games may have different ways to calculate used and free space. I have some games that show incorrect space by include a negative sign, but they install and work just fine. There is nothing to be alarmed about it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221802

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice