1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Programs on Start Up

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mzclaus, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mzclaus

mzclaus Account Closed Thread Starter

I ran msconfig to see what programs are on my Start Up. Are these really necessary? It takes pretty long to boot up.

Rundll32
    hkcmd
    ps2
    printray
    hpztsbo4
    1gfxtray
    wcmdmgrl
    NEWDOT~2
    ctfmon
    msnmsgr (I know this is msn messenger, but do I need it to start up?)
    Internet Answering

Please let me know if I can delete any of the above.
    Thanks so much for your help!

2. raybro

raybro

3. mobo

mobo

First thing you need to do is run Adaware to clean up the spyware, like new.net then look at the startup folder.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Mzclaus:

Most of those items can be unchecked and disabled. Read my article on MSCONFIG. It has links to 4 different sites where you can research your startup items. The Pacs Portal site you were given is one of the best, but it doesn't cover them all.

Download and install AD-AWARE 6.0.181 and SPYBOT - SEARCH & DESTROY 1.2.0. They're about 2 of the best spyware detection-and-removal programs out there, and they're free. Read my article on spyware. It'll provide download links for both programs and instructions on how to run them.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips
    (Also a XP user)

5. mzclaus

mzclaus Account Closed Thread Starter

Thank all of you....Raybro, Mobo, and Flavallee for your time and advice. I have done what you said, but haven't booted up enough to know if it has helped my problem yet or not...but I'm sure it will!!

This site is the best! Keep up the good work. We really appreciate it!!!!

6. mobo

mobo

7. Topkat

Topkat

I have a question for mobo; is it safe to run adaware to fix new.net? I was under the impression that trying to fix them without trying to uninstall them first can cause internet connection to be lost.

8. mobo

mobo

My guess is it must be Topkat as I have done so in the past on my own system without hitch.

9. winchester73

winchester73

Mr Leonard Amabile has a canned reply to posts regarding NewDotNet:

"New.net has an uninstaller in Add/Remove Programs labeled New.net Domains. I recommend that you use the New.net provided uninstaller prior to using any other method. If you do not find an entry in Add/Remove Programs, please follow the other procedures listed at http://www.newdotnet.com. Once you have ran one instance of our uninstaller and reboot, our software should be fully removed.

Leonard Amabile"

That suggestion is copy/pasted at the Lavasoft support forum when a user asks about NewDotNet.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice