1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

programs randomly stopped working

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by fifrenzy3, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fifrenzy3

fifrenzy3 Thread Starter

I just recently got some amazing advice here on there forums and solved some strange problems with my computer.

however, just recently, I've noticed several programs that rely on an internet connection (such as iTunes store and sometimes AIM, nothing illegal) suddenly stopped working.

The iTunes music store simply never connects, AIM sometimes does but mostly doesn't, but the weird part is all the while my internet browser works just fine and at pretty fast speeds. So i'm fairly certain the internet connection is not the culprit, seeing how Firefox works like a dream but some other programs don't.

Also, sometimes both IE and Firefox won't be able to download things online. some things work fine, large files and small, but other items simply cause the searching indicator thing in the corner spin forever with no result, even after several attempts and even restarting my computer and waiting for a while.

I also tried disabling my firewall (though extremely briefly, just to test the problem) thinking maybe some things were just being blocked all of a sudden, but the same things keeps happening. I even tried reinstalling iTunes, IE, and Firefox but the problem persists. it's obviously not a huge urgent problem, but very annoying all the same, especially since not only am I very into media but I make almost all my purchases and downloads online because it's easier, cheaper, and in greater supply than in any local store.

might be there's nothing I can do, but I thought I'd ask. the last thing i want to do is reformat because my computer came with an operating system (windows XP Media Center) already installed and I have no discs to reinstall with.

or could be I'm just dumb to the inner workings of computers and I unknowingly messed something up and I'm just annoying you all with my simple problems.

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!