1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Programs stop working

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by KellyNiv, Jun 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KellyNiv

KellyNiv Thread Starter

When I start up Windows 7, I keep getting reports that GfxUI and ControlDeck stopped working. A lot of other programs stop working too when I start them, such as Internet Explorer, iTunes, Adobe Reader and some video games. I tried reinstalling several of them, but that doesn't fix the problem or my computer simply can't install those programs again. Someone said I should reinstall the Nvidia drivers, but I keep getting errors when I try to do that.

Has anyone had similar programs, or know how I can fix them?

Edit: I ran several scanners, they came up with nothing and I haven't used any of those cleaner/... utilities (that I know of). Where can I find more info on those error messages/codes? And so far, no blue screens.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Start by scanning for infections with more than one scanner. (Malwarebytes, Kaspersky Security Scan, Superantispyware, Dr. Web CureIt, etc.) Check to make sure yours isn't disabled.

After that, test memory and the hard drive. But start with a good malware scan.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It sounds as though there is a hardware problem there.
    Can you give us more details of the error messages you are getting?
    If you are getting a BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) which as the name suggests is a blue background with white error text on it you will need to write it down. Also it would be useful to know several of the error codes if they are different ones each time.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Have you been using any "cleaner/optimizer/booster/tuneup/speedup" type utilities?

-------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1056396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice