1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Programs Stopped Working as Soon as they are started

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by darkw1zard, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darkw1zard

darkw1zard Thread Starter

Windows 7 Home Premium
    Service Pack 1
    64 bit

Problems: some programs cannot be run, stopped working as soon as it is opened
    I came to recognize my problem when McAfee pops up to check database update, but when I click "Check Now" it stopped working. After that I tried numerous times after a few restart tries.
    Even in my attempt to uninstall McAfee, the McAfee host UI has stopped working.

Then I came to realise that its not McAfee's thing, other programs are also affected namely Yahoo Messenger, Skype.
    (Browsers are working fine)

What I have done:

Bad thing: I don't have any restore point that I can use.

Some friend told me to try System File Checker & Repair Install.
    The latter I have not done because it seems more complicated & I don't have any Windows CD (This notebook came already installed with it)
    I did try System File Checker (cmd sfc /scannow as admin), but the result says:
    Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

I don't think I have changed anything in recent times, except there are some windows update going on:
    (also have iTunes & iCloud thing update to the latest version)

Recent Windows Update:

There's one update which keeps failing to install:

If anyone willing to attend my problem would be more than welcomed & I really appreciate that.

:)

Attached Files:

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Try booting into safe mode and see if it work fine. At booting the computer, continually press f8 (typically it is this key; sometimes it is a different f key) until a menu screen pops up. Choose safe mode and see if you are able to open these programs.

3. darkw1zard

darkw1zard Thread Starter

Hello, thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately nope, in safe mode its still the same.

4. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I would run a hard drive check to see if that fixes anything. Go to the start icon, then computer. Right click the drive your operating system is on and select properties. Go to the tools tab, under error-checking, select check now. Check both checkboxes, and the hit start. I'm pretty sure you will have to restart your computer to allow this check to run.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1093729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice