1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Programs stopped working.. .lnk?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kaleido, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaleido

Kaleido Thread Starter

Hi! I am going to explain the whole history to the problem...

I'm using Windows XP but wanted to dualboot with linux, so I started to download it and making my Pc ready for the install, I had to buy a new DVD player so I could read DVD disks ( my old one got broke)... Well Installed it and did some other stuff, did get some problem with the PC at the same time but worked it out with help from a friend. Anyway, after nearly 2 days working with getting all fixed I finally was done today morning. Turned my PC off and tonight I turned it on ready with all the stuff. Then I see that nearly all my desktop icons are "white" also are the ones in "all programs" And when I try to open any of them, programs,games or even my internet browser... (for example):

Windows cannot open this file:
    Mozilla Firefox.lnk
    Windows needs to know what program created it....etc
    And then I can ofc choose to search the web or search the computer after the program...

So my question is, how to fix this? I really want to install linux and dont have my windows damaged :( MY friends says "reinstall whole windows" but I got so much important data on it so I dont want to.

I got 2 thoughts that maybe caused this damage...
    1, Got virus on my Pc I belive, but my anti virus cant find it, it cant open allot of files.. (using NOD32, also ad-aware for spewers)
    2, Got a program called CleanUp thats removes stuff like temporary internet files and such.. Maybe it damaged something else than that stuff...

Sorry for a long text just wanted to explain the problem exactly, and sorry for bad english :/ Still learning.
    I'm very happy that I found this site, looks like u get fast and very good help :) Thnx in advance!

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!