1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Programs unable to connect to internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bunnytard, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bunnytard

bunnytard Thread Starter

I have this problem where programs that needs to connect to the internet can't, while my internet explorer can. In fact internet explorer is the only program that can connect to the internet. Which means my firefox (my main browser I use), avg internet security, utorrent, windows live messenger, aim, itunes, etc, can't connect. I first had a problem when my internet browsers wouldn't connect, so I sent it to a pc guy and he removed some spyware and fixed my internet connection, but the thing is only internet explorer connects now. There are 3 laptops in my house that work fine with programs that need connection to the internet. I am connected through my linksys router which is connected to my modem. Oh and my os is windows vista and I am using a desktop.

UPDATE: Now internet explorer can't connect ever since I upgraded to vista ultimate. I tried disabling my firewall but that didn't help anything. Help would be highly appreciated.

2. srhoades

srhoades

I suspect the firewall in AVG internet security. In the configuration you can configure the firewall to allow specifict programs, or you can just disable it alltogether.

3. bunnytard

bunnytard Thread Starter

it is not avg since I am not running it right now

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The spyware may have corrupted the AVG install. It may actually be running even though it appears to be off.

Try uninstalling it, then test your connectivity. If it works, then re-install AVG and test again.

HTH

Jerry

5. bunnytard

bunnytard Thread Starter

I will try that

6. bunnytard

bunnytard Thread Starter

avg wasn't the problem

7. bunnytard

bunnytard Thread Starter

Omg please help people

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice