1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Project-Plex server and Chromecast

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by franicelcha, Jul 10, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. franicelcha

franicelcha Thread Starter

Hi folks

Background information:

My PC is located in a room other than my living room where my TV is actually located.

I have set up on my desktop PC (a year or two ago) a Plex server. My daughter, with her tablet, connects to my Plex server from her home and watches movies or TV series that I have stored on my hard drive inside that PC. So, all is good here.

As for me, I DO NOT HAVE a smartphone or a tablet. All I have is my PC.

Up to now, I had an old Sony Trinitron TV 27 inches which probably dates back 15 years or so. Could not do much except watching TV (Old TV but image and sound were very good) and movies played through my video player. In order to watch these movies on my TV, I had to take each movie, convert it to DVD format with the software ConvertXto dvd so that it could be read through my DVD player, burn it to a DVD media and watch the movie on my TV. Every movie was taking between 20-30 minutes. A pain in the butt…

However, this has recently changed. I got a nice 1080P Panasonic TV (32 inches screen) and replaced my old Sony Trinitron 27 inches TV with that one. It is not a smart TV however. It is a 2010 model. It has 3 HDMI ports as well as one USB port on it.

Here is what I would like to do as I found out that I could cast my movies and/or TV series directly from my Plex server on my PC to my TV (in the living room) with a Chromecast unit (would have to purchase this unit—do not have one presently). This would be a great improvement as I would no longer need to convert these movies or series episodes in order to be able to watch them.

I do have WiFi in my home.

Questions:

If I watch a movie (Plex server) on my TV through Chromecast, will I have to go back to the other room where my PC is located every time I want to pause or stop the movie or raise or lower the sound level ?

How will I control these things ? From my PC keyboard ?

Will I be able to do this from my tv remote control ? Remember, I DO NOT HAVE a smartphone or a tablet. Al I have is my PC. Google Chrome is my browser.

Any suggestions or articles to refer me to which could make my life easier ?

Thanks a lot to all.

2. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    Since you do not have a smartphone then you would be better off purchasing an Amazon Stick, Roku, etc that includes a remote in order to control plex directly. Let me know if other questions.

3. franicelcha

New development as of July 11 2018

My sister-in-law told me on the phone (yesterday, July 11 2018) that she bought a new iPad and generously offered to give me her older iPad (give, not sell) . Do not know anything about those beasts (never had one). Will have to learn how to configure it, how to use it, everything. Would your reply to my original post change, given my new situation (having a iPad) ?

I do not know the model number or the characteristics of the device that she will give me. I should get it within a week or so.

Should I setup my Chromecast from the iPad or from my PC ?

Regards

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    I use Plex with my Roku Sticks and it works fine. Plus, you can get dozens (hundreds?) of free channels with Roku. Pretty much any genre you want. Typically you'd have to deal with commercials, but you do with broadcast TV anyway. You can add Hulu, SlingTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime video, and other pay services and pick up many/most "cable" channels (TBS, ESPN, FS1/2, FX, FXX, TNT, AMC, Hallmark, National Geographic, etc. at much more reasonable rates than cable or satellite companies charge!
    You should be able to view Plex movies on the iPad as well (I don't have any Apple devices in my house, so I don't know the exact procedure.

5. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    The iPad is fine but it isn’t my first choice to use with the chrome cast. When using the iPad you have to download all the apps to your iPad and then stream from it to the chromecast and sometimes it doesn’t work as well in my experience.

I have used about all the streaming devices out there and my preference is an Android box but that is probably because I root them so I do not have any restrictions. Next would be the Amazon fire stick and then roku.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/best-streaming-devices/

https://www.cnet.com/topics/media-streamers/best-media-streamers/

6. franicelcha

Thanks to all folks

7. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    Sure good luck

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice