1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Projector question...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mdvaden, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mdvaden

mdvaden Thread Starter

Later this month, I am speaking at a Portland garden show. I will be doing a PowerPoint presentation - my first - and for now, plan to use my desktop computer (have no real need for a laptop yet).

Anyway, a nurseryman's association will be supplying a projector. I forget the technical term, but it's one of those projectors that starts at about $1000 and up an up, that can be connected to a computer.

What I am curious about, when I hook that up to my computer (I'm guessing to the monitor cable) should it automatically project an image when everything is turned on?

And, whereas my monitor has an "in" and an "out" in back, can I run another cable off my monitor and run the projector and monitor at the same time?

I know that every monitor I've connected to may computer just happens to work right away, whether 15" or the 21" I have now. It would be nice if the projector was just as simple. But since this will be my first experience with one, I have no idea about set-up or tweaking.

2. squidboy

squidboy

If it behaves like every other projector I've used, then yes. All it does is behave like a monitor: receives video signals then instead does it's thing on a wall/screen.

And yes, it will project everything. Working normally, you will see the boot up process, desktop, etc...like a monitor.

3. winbob

winbob

Just curious...it sounds like this is NOT a laptop....correct?

Connecting devices like this to a laptop usually require 'switching' the display output to 'external' a desktop would not.

4. squidboy

squidboy

He stated it was for a desktop. Using a laptop is trivial as well, as it would only require a keystroke to toggle between one, the other, or both.

5. winbob

winbob

Just because he said it was a desktop doesn't mean my feeble mind digested it. :p

My mom used Aluminum Pots n Pans when I was a kid :eek:

6. squidboy

squidboy

My mob rubbed some glop on my chest when I was ill :eek:

And we had a milk man (y)

7. winbob

winbob

You don't look like the Milkman do you!?!?!??! :eek:

8. mdvaden

mdvaden Thread Starter

Thanks

(I like these auto email notifications when messages post).

So from what I hear, I can plug and play.

The other thing I was curious about was if the projector can run off the back of the monitor too.

If it can, then I can face my audience while at the keyboard and have them looking at a screen behind my back.

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The answer would be "probably", as we have no idea what the limitations of your "out" socket is on the monitor.

Its uncommon to have that facility, so experience is probably limited.

Be aware that projectors are rather limited in terms of resolution and refresh rate. Find out what resolution it is, and configure your system for it in advance.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327223

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice