1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Prolonging laptop battery life

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by berndawg84, Dec 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. berndawg84

berndawg84 Thread Starter

So I was reading some articles online about prolonging lithium ion battery life. I recently got a new battery because my old one didn't work anymore..the second I'd unplug the power cord, the laptop would shut off because the battery was no longer good. So what can I do best to prolong the battery life?

I don't use my laptop for many "mobile" purposes and usually just keep it plugged into the AC cord on my desk I'd say 90% of the time. So should I occasionaly run just on battery power to a partial discharge and then fully charge it? I've read that full discharges are not good for LI batters, but should be done about once a month. So I guess my main question is since I don't use my laptop away from an outlet that much, what should I do? Remove the battery completely? Thanks for your input

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Modern laptops have "smart chargers" that properly maintain the battery.

I never bother with removing or cycling the battery, my present one is 2 years old and still runs fine (on the rare occasion it gets used).

My opinion is that cycling the battery may add a very small percentage of life, but unless you know exactly what the optimum cycling is for that exact battery construction, you may also subtract a small percentage of life. But we will never know what the optimum for that construction is...

I work on the theory of leaving it alone and letting tha laptop take care of it. Thats what its designed for.

If you feel the need, everything you never needed to know on rechargeable batteries is here:
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

3. berndawg84

berndawg84 Thread Starter

thanks for the info. Anyone else?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What he said. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/422352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice