promlems with wireless network card

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gemhead

ok i have searched like crazy and cant find the answer to my question so hopefully someone can help me out

alright here we go
at home we have one main pc in my room its a p4 1.5g comp running windows xp pro it has a D-Link wireless routed hooked up to it by cable not wireless this all works fine for the net no probs at all. the latest edition is another pc which is just outside my room this comp is also running windows xp pro it is hooked up to the router via cat5 cable this comp also works fine no probs with file sharing or the net. and now to the problem my dad has a laptop that is running windows xp home he can pull the plug out of the second computer and plug it in to his and it works fine for the net but its a pain in the *** cos that means that the other comps got no internet so dad thought it would be a good idea to get a wireless card for the laptop so he didnt have to use the cable from the other comp so he got one off ebay a D-Link DWL-G650 108mbps it all looked ok, i think it was brand new the problem is that it only half works it dad said it connects and sends packets but it doesnt receive any, so you cant share files or use the internet which makes it fairly useless. so if someone could help me fix this problem that would be awsome. if any more info is required then just tell me what your after and i'll get it.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, the obvious question is why not get another cable. :) If the cable run is long, you can use a $15 Ethernet switch to split the cable to go to the two machines.

If you really want to get the wireless running, we'll need more info. Do you have encryption enabled on the router? If so, disable it until you get the wireless link running, then enable it as a separate step. If that doesn't help, let's see this:

Open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

gemhead

thanks for your help but dad said dont worry cos he has a mate who is right into networks or something

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online