1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Prompt window when Inserting USB flash drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bme, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bme

bme Thread Starter

When I insert a usb memory disk I am prompted by a window to open the flash memory by media player,open folder,do nothing,etc etc.How do I tweak xp so that this window stops from opening?
    I use xp pro sp2.Maybe this is an sp2 issue? No feature not to stop this window from appearing.

2. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

Hi bme
    Right click the usb drive in My Computer and choose properties.
    Under the Autoplay tab check the radio box stating "Prompt me each time to choose an action"
    Wolfey

3. bme

bme Thread Starter

Nothing about "autoplay" in the properties of my usb drive!Only General,Tools and Hardware

4. pfurball

pfurball

Howdy bme
    Usually this window pops up until you click on a choice, if in doubt, click on the "do nothing" choice and then it should "remember" it and not pop the window up again.At least that is what happened for me!Hope this helps.
    Regards Paula :)

5. bme

bme Thread Starter

It does remember but when I restart the pc there it is again!

6. raanank

raanank

Here's what to do:

Start > Run... > Services.msc > click "OK" > Scroll Down to "Shell Startup Detection" and double click on it > Change "Startup Type" to "Disabled" > Press "Stop" > Press "Apply" and "OK" to leave > Thats it!

Hope this works

7. bme

bme Thread Starter

okay got it.thanks !

8. raanank

raanank

No problem!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/382055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice