1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Proper Installation of XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by smunday, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smunday

smunday Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I put this in here because I'm going to be installing XP today.

I want to do do a full wipe of my hard drive but I forget how to do it?

I'm going from win98 to XP, so the install will be a full one. As for drivers. The XP advisor said that my Display adapters for my Hercules 3D Prophet 3 Ti 200, but of course it would it only has the 98 drivers. SO I'll do the install of XP then add the XP drivers to it once I got it up.

Thanks for the advice.
    Let me know how to do the full format of my hard drive
    thanks
    S.

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi there!

What you will want to do is BOOT to the WinXP CD and run the setup from there. it will tell you that you already have wondows on the system and prompt you about the file system. simply choose the format option with either FAT or NTFS. this will totally wipe the hard drive clean and instal WinXP cleanly.

Note: If you have UATA controllers, make sure you have the drivers on floppy because XP will ask for them in the beginning of the setup and then ask again after the format.

Good Luck!

ST

3. smunday

smunday Thread Starter

What do you mean by booting to a CD?

4. SexyTech

SexyTech

If you put your WinXP CD into the drive and then restart your PC, you sghould be prompted to boot to CD. if it does not prompt you, then you'll need to go into the BIOS and change the boot sequence so that ATAPI CD-Rom is the first bot device, then save and reboot the system.

5. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

6. waltj2

waltj2

Hello
    This is how I had 3 different OS on my HD with the choice of which OS to boot to.
    Basics: You MUST load the oldest OS first!! (ie, Win 98, Win 2K, Win XP).
    1. Make sure you have backed up any data, and drivers, if necessary.
    2. Used fdisk from Win 98 boot floppy to delete ALL partitions (NTFS partions show as unknown type)
    3. Loaded Win 98, and let it occupy the entire HD. Loaded drivers, etc, and made sure it was running OK, (Win 98 can only format as FAT32)
    4. Loaded Partition Magic (in Win 98). Used it to create 2
    Extende partitions, but did NOT format them at this step!!
    (Pattition Magic includes Boot Magic, and it will re-identify any CD-ROM drives as the new OS is setup!)
    5. Next I installed Win 2000 by putting it into the CDROM. It searched the HD, and asked which partition to install on, and what formatting to use. I chose NTFS, and it installed OK. I then installed any drivers I needed thru Device Manager by updating the driver.
    6. I did the same thru my XP Upgrade disc. Only difference was the disc wanted confirmation of an upgrade, so I put in eithe the Win 98 disc, or the Win 2000. disc.

I've done this on several HDs with no problems other than an older K6-2 board where the sound is garbled on any OS above Win 98.

BTW
    A friend had trouble getting an Ugraded MB & Processor working.
    I took it & used a small HD to load the OS onto it Loaded the necessary drivers, and loaded Ghost on it. When he got a new HD, I Ghosted the small HD onto the larger HD, and its been 6 months so far w/o any problems.

Walt

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!