1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Proper Temperatures for Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rich-M, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rich-M

Rich-M Thread Starter

Recently I began recieving warning flashes from my Sensorsview 1.2 program that hard drives were over heating. I have a Biostar tForce 4 skt 936 (NForce 4 chipset), Dual Core Athlon 4800 with a Sata Raptor drive as "C" and a WD 250 fairly new 7200 rpm sata drive as backup "D".
    The Raptor was a few years old running at 65C so I replaced it with a normal WD sata and then the temps on drive 2 went to 65-70C. I installed Speedfan to double check and it showed the same thing. Then I bought a new Raptor 74 gb and now it runs up to about 45C but drive 2 is almost always over 65C. When drive 1 was showing super hot, drive 2 was down in mid 40's.
    I have changed front case fan to a better Vantec fan, and moved the hard drive closer to that case fan with no change. of course cleaned out inside of case as well.
    Unit 2 is a Core2 duo 6400 with a Biostar TForce 945 P...both units have Corsair Xms 2 gb ram the first with ddr 400 and the second with ddr2 667. Now I notice that the same occurrence in that unit where hdd2 is running 65C and over and the main Raptor is running mid 40's. in both cases I have hand held these drives while running and while they are hot on the bottom, I would hardly say red hot or the temps showing so my guess is this is nothing I should worry about and the programs are simply not monitoring these correctly. Or perhaps it is a Biostar issue? I have never had a stitch of trouble with a Biostar board oh and in both cases the boards show system temp as 127C which we all know is also innacuurate.
    Oh the cases are entirely different though Enermax cases. one is full tower, the first one, and the second one is mid tower size though unit 1 has a lot more in it so the space is about evenly used.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Anything above around 50C is cause for concern with disk drives. If you visit the manufacturer's website, many specify an operating temperature range of 0-50C, obviously you'd like to be running as cool as possible.

You might consider a cooling fan blowing across the hot drive, it does wonders for the temperature. :)

3. Rich-M

Rich-M Thread Starter

I agree, but I just wonder if both units can both have the identical problem with the same drives when the systems are totally different, and I wonder why first the main drive showed the high temps, and now the secondary which was in the 40's before is now 70 after changing the main drive.
    You know what else I wonder. When I started all this I realized I was booting from Sata3 for some reason so I changed it to Sata 1 for main drive and sata 2 for backup...I wonder if that was the reason for the switch of drives showing temps.I just don't feel these temps are correct too.
    Also thanks JW I forgot to mention I had ordered 2 hard drive coolers, one for each drive to see if that makes a difference.
    They should get here this week.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M Thread Starter

OK I put 2 decent Vantec hard drive cooling fans, one on each and now both hard drives are running at 53c and 57c respectively without any noticeable higher jumps...they remain steady. Remember the one Raptor is brand new and the other WD 300Gb is about 8 months old.
    I am becoming convinced the sensors reading this are shot. This unit is about a year and 1/2 old and I never saw warnings until about a month ago on the hard drives and nothing has changed. The hard drives that I was warned about, have been replaced also. I think soon time to replace the board while I can still get decent socket 939 boards.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Rich do you have another system that you can connect the drives to and check their temps? It might just be something with controller on the board.

6. firestormer

firestormer

7. JohnWill

Interesting, that does fly in the face of conventional wisdom of keeping the drives cool. :) Of course, they didn't specify exactly what temperature they considered "hot". ;)

Here's a link to the complete report, Failure Trends in a Large Disk Drive Population.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M Thread Starter

Interesting...thanks firestormer!

9. Rich-M

Rich-M Thread Starter

Yes I have 5 systems Crj so I certainly can do that, but noticing that my second desktop is showing almost the same results with WD Raptor and Wd 160 gb 7200 sata drives, and the 160 gb drive was in the front pc showing higher results. Here in this one it runs at 48c whereas in the front one it ran at 58c, is leaning me towards a controller issue, but on the weekend I'll bring the 250 into this machine and see for sure. With the coolers on the drives, I am holding now at 40 for Raptor main drive and 57c for the 250 in that pc so the 70c days are over.
    While I was waiting for new 80gb Raptor in main pc, I used a 120 WD 7200 sata drive in place of what I thought was the other overheating 36Gb Raptor there and it ran 60-70 also. Put into a 3rd pc, it is running mid 40's now so it really has to be the main board that is either reporting heat wrong, or is overheating. I am thinking it is time to replace that board except that to the touch, the drives do not feel that hot.
    What really has me puzzled is why are the secondary or backup drives in both pc's running so much hotter than the boot drive or main drive? What sense does that make. The only thing on those drives are Acronis image files and the Argentum backups from the server as well as email store...everything else is on the main drives.

10. JohnWill

You may be misinterpreting the findings. Their idea of "high" temperature is 45C. Here's one of the failure graphs based on temperature. Note that the failures are almost universally worse at "high" temperature than the mid-range temperatures, except for brand new drives. I suspect the new drive statistics can be chalked up to infant mortality of the hardware. I do find it interesting that up to 35C seems to be a bad place to run the drives, but I suspect most drives in a typical system get to at least 35C. The 35-45C range seems to be the "sweet" spot for temperature range.

Running hard disks at 50C or more is still a very bad idea IMO.

Attached Files:

11. Rich-M

Rich-M Thread Starter

No John I understand, and I saw that graph, I guess I just don't believe that with a good cooling fan + being right next to a front intake fan that the drive is running that hot, but I will put it into this unit on the weekend but drive # 2 is running at 48-50 in here already.
    As I said when I touch the drives, none of them feel that hot...and I fail to understand why I would be getitng the higher heat in both cases out of drives that get very little use.

12. JohnWill

Well, if the internal case temperature is 35C (not an unreasonable number), you'll never get the drive any cooler than that with a fan. All a fan will do in a 35C environment is reduce the temperature differential between the ambient and the device it's "cooling".

13. Rich-M

Rich-M Thread Starter

Well I put the 300 gb drive into a brand new build build which was an Intel Dual core on a Gigabyte mobo with side of case off within 20 minutes and the drive had not been used all day, it was up to 57c without attaching the hard drive cooling fan attached to drive now in about 20 minutes. Now I am really puzzled. When I touched the drive it was not even warm. There is no way that drive was at 57c. I put it back into main unit and it went to 55 with the cooler attached. I am beginning to think the test is the problem.
    These programs like Sensorsview and Speedfan read temps from bios. I checked bios on all these boards and none of them show hdd temps. 4 brand new drives cannot be running high 50's on 3 different systems....it has to be the testing. Also the other thing I am wondering is I notice the Raptors, and I have 3 of them are all hot to the touch, hotter than the secondary drives, yet they read in the 40's most of the time and the backup drives that are seldom even hit on go from high 50's to 60+c. Nah I have had about enough of this foolishness.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice