Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Proper use of the Quote Button

5K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  pyritechips 
#1 ·
It has come to my attention that some members are not aware of how to properly quote so I will quickly outline it here.

If you want to copy/paste a portion of a post, copy it then in your post, paste it, highlight it and use this button:

If you want to quote the entire post, all you have to do is use this button:

See less See more
#3 ·
Good point Harry! :up: That's an extra tip some members may not be aware of. :)

#4 ·
Your welcome Jim.
Now you have to say I think in the same thread for that to work but at I think Calendar of Updates it can be any thread so it does a little more then TSG. Plus your get a image link in each Quote you can click on to find where that Quote came from and if it was edit because you can Quote a post but delete from it so having the link to the post is good. But that is the newer Invision Power Board that have that added to them.

#6 ·
Good point Harry! :up: That's an extra tip some members may not be aware of. :)
Your welcome Jim.
Now you have to say I think in the same thread for that to work but at I think Calendar of Updates it can be any thread so it does a little more then TSG. Plus your get a image link in each Quote you can click on to find where that Quote came from and if it was edit because you can Quote a post but delete from it so having the link to the post is good. But that is the newer Invision Power Board that have that added to them.
Here is a pretty good thread on quoting.
Well I must say that is quite a bit quicker than the copy past method....thanks guys...

#7 ·
It has come to my attention that some members are not aware of how to properly quote so I will quickly outline it here.

If you want to copy/paste a portion of a post, copy it then in your post, paste it, highlight it and use this button:

I do it slightly differently, I quote the whole post and edit out unnecessary text, that way you've included the originators name as above, it's different strokes for different folks!:D

#8 ·
Other forums do not allow quote on replying the thread that been recently as it is unneeded and takes lots of time to loading it. I think people like quoting it here and i think TSG servers are managing it well. Anyway i think other forum servers is crap and crashing it all the time and it is controlled by IEntry. :rolleyes: I prefer the past owner who control the forum very well.

#9 ·
I do it slightly differently, I quote the whole post and edit out unnecessary text, that way you've included the originators name as above, it's different strokes for different folks!:D
Dotty's method is the best as far as I am concerned. It is useless to quote a page-long post then reply to it. What part of the post is being referenced? It is best to quote thus:
...I quote the whole post and edit out unnecessary text...
The leading and closing triple periods indicate it is a portion of a statement. I am no English scholar but I have seen this method used in newsarticles, books and essays. I accept it as the proper way to quote, but please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

#10 ·
Before we had the multi quote feature I used to open 2 tabs for Tsg, I'd copy the posts from the first then paste them into the second, it's simple and quick if you want to quote several posts:)

#12 ·
daniel, check out Noyb's posts here as it shows you how to insert an image file. The other way is to upload an image to Photobucket and save it then highlight the IMG link, copy it, go to your post and paste, if you have any problems or need further info PM me and I'll break it down for you:)

#13 ·
dotty,
WOW, talk about a quick reply!!!, i take back all them things i said about you this morning, :eek:
i had tried earlier to put a pic IN in my post, but the window 'popped' asking for the url, and i'm what??? okay, you explained why, i'll check your link to nyob's post,
thank you,
daniel

#14 ·
dotty,
WOW, talk about a quick reply!!!, i take back all them things i said about you this morning, :eek:
i had tried earlier to put a pic IN in my post, but the window 'popped' asking for the url, and i'm what??? okay, you explained why, i'll check your link to nyob's post,
thank you,
daniel
whaaaaaa?:eek:

#16 ·
wellllll, all i did was just agree with THEM, :p
besides, th-th-that's my story, asnnnddddd i'm stickin' to it! :D

seriously, sometimes it's just them lil' glitches that get you,
thank you,
daniel
why do I suddenly feel paranoid?:eek: I'll be keepin' an eye on you..;)

:p

#17 ·
OK guys, this is supposed to be a two-bit tutorial on quoting for members not aware of the function. I'm going to close this, as it's getting off-topic. If anybody has a tip or can add to whatever has been posted up until now you can PM me and I can post it here.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.