1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved PROPER was of installing an SSD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OM2, Jun 19, 2017 at 11:34 AM.

Advertisement
  1. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

Can someone advise me of the 'proper' way of installing an SSD.
    I've done many times now - but I'm sure I'm not doing it right!

First off.. what do I do to format and what file system do I use?
    I can't remember, but Win 10 uses some new file system (I forget the name) and you ONLY have one chance to choose!
    Otherwise you have to go to GREAT lengths to set back.

Once that's done, what do I do next?
    I think what I've done next is through Windows disk manage assigned drives and formatted.
    Then... I think I simple restore my Acronis backup.

I am missing something though - like the emergency partition with which I can go back to the original state.

I would love the 'proper instruction' set :)

Thanks

2. Sponsor

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am not really understanding your question. There is no difference between a ssd and a conventional mech drive [from win7 onward] If you are using an out of date windows operating system ie xp or whatever, then you have to partition manually and set the correct partition offset.
    As long as you use win7 or later, just install; that is it.
    You do not format a ssd.
    Unless you have a VERY small ssd, you have to use ntfs.
    You are making this way too difficult. Just boot with your install media ie dvd or usb. Install the same way you always install ie delete ALL partitions on the system drive and let setup create partitions as necessary.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 12:41 PM
  4. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

well... i don't start from scratch and install.
    i have an acronis image.

yes: ssd or other drive type doesn't matter.

i put my new hard drive into an external closure. i then have to make a choice whether to format as GPT or MBR.
    i've got stuck on this a few times - same mistake again and again. :(

so my question is what is the best practice for transferring and image to a new drive?
    thks

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you have an image, it makes no difference. The file system will be what it was when you made the image. Restoring an image destroys ALL data on the target so it is irrelevant what you do beforehand.

6. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

no... no... i've been through so much pain and wasted time for the mbr vs gpt issue.
    definitely a huge problem

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you are not understanding. An image of a drive is just that; the whole drive; mbr/gpt, whatever partitions on the drive, etc. When you restore the image, you have just what you had before. It is irrelevant what you do to the target drive before you restore the image. If by chance you had an image of a partition and not a drive, then it might make a difference however you would need a separate image of the boot sector [or create the boot files manually]

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW acronis will put up a msg to the effect that restoring the image is not possible unless you delete data on the destination. Acronis then asks permission to do just that. You must agree before the image is restored. If the drive is blank ie empty, then you do not get the msg.

9. plodr

plodr Liz

What size is the original hard drive? What size is the ssd?

10. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

guys, i know most of u will have many years more experience than me.
    but trust me, if u get the first part wrong - a simple switch, then you have to go round the bend trying to fix.

you cannot restore an MBR base image on an GPT base drive.

so to switch to MBR, you need to install 3rd party programs - i really really don't like installing ANYTHING that i haven't heard of. i had no choice.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are still not understanding. The destination drive should be blank ie nothing on the drive. Your image is your image. It will be just like what it was when you made the image.

If you do not want it this way, simply clean install windows any way you want.

12. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

i think i'm maybe making trouble for myself.

- brand new hard drive. unbox. put in external enclosure.
    - plug in via USB. i get a popup asking which i want: MBR or GPT

are you telling me i shouldn't make a choice here and JUST install my image?

let me know. thks.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes.
    1 Install hard disk
    2 Boot with acronis boot usb/cd/dvd
    3 Restore the image to the new drive
    4 Done. It really is that easy. Depending on the size of the image, it should take as little as 5min to restore the image.

Really the only reason to have gpt is for disks >2TB or if you want many, many partitions.

14. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

u are telling me that i have WASTED literally HOURS and HOURS of my life unnecessarily over this *dumb* problem?
    damn!
    at least i know.
    i'll give u a shout if i have problems doing as u say (which makes perfect sense)

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If this image was made of a mech hard disk and you are now switching to ssd, make sure you use a later version of acronis. Do not use a version from 2009 or something similar. Later versions of acronis will apply the correct partition offset.

OM2 likes this.
  16. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

really? i didn't know.
    i upgraded to latest version anyway so will be ok.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1191720