1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Proper way to remove a useless install of Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ian80, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

I recently put together a new rig after running over my laptop (long story, one of my finer moments, haha). I decided to use my laptop hard drive in the build. Soon after getting the thing up and running, Windows 7 started failing on me. I think it was a trojan. I had a hole in my virus protection for less than a day, which will teach me to be careless. Eventually, Windows wouldn't even load; I couldn't restore from an older point either. The hard drive was partitioned between an OS drive and a data drive, so I loaded a second copy of Windows on the data drive. With the computer up and running, I reformatted the OS partition, reinstalled Windows and all is well. But now I have the second Windows install taking up space because I don't know the right way to remove it. I want to make sure it is a complete install. I also have to get past "Trusted Installer"...

What's the best way to remove a Windows install completely?

Thanks!

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

If the computer is actually running from the os partition and
    you don't have anything you need to keep on the data drive,
    you should be able to just delete the data partition,create
    a new partition and format it.

3. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

Thanks for he reply. Should have mentioned that I through the OS on the the *extra* space on my data drive -- I have 150 GB worth of data I want to keep. Looking for the cleanest way possible of getting rid of windows but keeping my data.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Copy the 150 GB of data from the data partition to the OS partition. Then format data partition.

If you don't have enough free space on the OS parition, then you'd need to buy a USB external hard drive.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If it's data you care about then you have at least one other copy on different media, right? So just copy it back to the hard drive after cleaning up the partition.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028680

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice