1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

properly bridge network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DiGiTY, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DiGiTY

DiGiTY Thread Starter

using my wireless adapter, how do i properly bridge its connection with the ethernet adapter (on the same desktop) to share the Internet over my wired network (which are connected via switch)???

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy DiGiTY...

Any reason you can't get a wireless router, and set it up that way?

Bridgeing them isn't going to get you where you want to be. It would be easier to get a Wireless router (you realy don't want to go ICS, too much of a headache)...

3. DiGiTY

DiGiTY Thread Starter

the only thing available to me is the switch and the ethernet & wireless adapters. if a bridge isn't gonna do the trick, then what is with the hardware available?

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Maaan...I hate ICS (didnt I say that before somewhere else :D )...

Well...

What you will have to do is to set each wireless adapter to ADHoc mode, and get them communicating, talking together, slapping each other on the back, telling good jokes between them, etc....first...

Then you will have to setup the wired connection (haven't seen what OS's are involved yet, so can't tell you the steps involved) for ICS (Internet Connection Sharing :( (n) ), then after that the rest is (crosses fingers) pretty much downhill (need to know the OS's involved)...

You may also have to buy a high gain antenna (you can probably get a router cheaper) for the host pc (the one that is sharing the connection), it's one thing I've seen in these AdHoc mode connections is that they will loose their signal strength...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice