Properly taking out a cpu fan

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

NIKEZ

Is there a way to properly take out a cpu fan? I'm pulling this thing out and since the thermal paste stuck on too well to the cpu itself, the cpu comes right out with the fan. This pisses me off because when this happens, the pins on the amd cpu bends and I have to try to bend them back in the right positions.

I always give the heat sink a gentle twist to the right and to the left as I am loosening the screws, or undoing the clips.

leroys1000

Banned
Basically,you need to release the clamp,then lightly
push down on the heat sink and slowly twist it back and forth
till the thermal compound breaks loose.
I know what you mean.
I broke a pin off one of my processors before I figured that out.

NIKEZ

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep that in mind next time. I broke one of my cpus because of this too. :(

One last tip and that is if you cannot shake it loose, be sure to be on top of the hsf and pull it straight up so even if it comes out that way it will come out straight and not to the side bending the pins.

dustyjay

Jay
You might get a little luck if you let the CPU/Heatsink warm up, shut down, then before the assembly cools down try carefully removing the HSF from the CPU. I have had to do this before.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online