Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Property Sheets" in Local Area Connection Properties

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ArtGuy 
#1 ·
Somehow I've managed to do something that prevents me from entering the Local Area Connection Properties window. When I do I get a message, "The controls on this property sheet are disabled because one or more other property sheets are already open. To use these controls, close all these sheets and reopen this one."
Who ever hear of property sheets? At this moment I can't access the internet due to (I think) an impoperly set component in the Local Area Connections window. Thanks, I think, to McAfee putting a Firewall component in there.

Puzzled and Frustrated.

#2 ·
When you right-click on an object, i.e. Local Network Connection, and select Properties, it opens the Propertiy Sheet for that object. You may be correct that the firewall has controll of the properties for the NIC and therefore the system won't open the properties again until the first instance is closed. Try opening your services from the Computer Management MMC and stop the McAfee services relating to the firewall. See if you can then see the properties of the network connection. If so, you have found the culprit. What to do about it as it will probably take control again when the services are restarted, I don't know as I don't use McAfee's firewall. If you can remove it, Agnitum has a free firewall that works very well. I have satelite connection and have not had an issue with either doing what I want or getting hacked.

#3 ·
Thanks for your input on "sheets". McAfee has taken control of my computer so completely that I can't even install a new copy of Win2k on top of it. They have something called "miniports" thatkeeps trying to install; when I attempt to install Win 2k on top it tells me that there is an incomplete installation that has to be resolved before I can install Windows. Am I p.o.'ed at McAfee? I ordered Norton last night.
Happily, I had another hard drive that I was able to install a new copy to; after a couple of days I will reformat drive C: and get rid of you-know-who.

Thanks Again,
ArtGuy

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.