Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pros and Cons of Hard Drive Encryption?

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  adamm321 
#1 ·
I am looking at a Lenovo laptop that has an option to get a hard drive with disk encryption. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it a security feature? I am wondering if this would prevent any hijacking or remote sending of information from your hard drive? Any drawbacks to it...compatibility headaches or anything like that?

Thanks
adam

#2 ·
Its basically in case of theft--the hard drive contents will remain locked and unavailible to anyone without the proper validation. Your normal viral and spyware and firewall features secure the system when being properly used. No compatibility issues except if it malfunctions or you lose or forget the proper validation because if you do its secure and you are not getting in.

I'm sure its NOT the case here but there was an encrypted disk technology on display at CES this past Jan. that would not only prevent access but it would acually destroy the data if validation failed three times in a row.

So in short, encrypted disks are a good idea if you are maybe working for a company and you are carrying around the social security numbers for all the employees or something ultra critical like that, but otherwise it might be overkill because you can always use a free program like Trucrypt to absolutely secure your data any time you wish on any hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.