1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pros and Cons of IP Printing?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chrisva, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisva

chrisva Thread Starter

We will be adding a new location of about 40 users to our existing WAN network. There will be 5 buildings and 2 printers/building. In order to hold down costs some of our IT team is recommending we not buy print servers, but simply use IP printing for these users. I really can't find much details about IP printing pros and cons. Some places seem to imply that there still needs to be some type of print server. Also, do we lose functionality (queueing, error messages, etc). Any where I can read up on this? I've found instructions for XP on how to add a printer, but not much else.

2. c1t1d1

c1t1d1

One con is that say you have 10 people printing to the printer and one of the users documents gets a error well that user normally is the only one who can restart or cancel that document. You can set up a pc as a print server and if the same situation happends you can go to the print server and just clear the que.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/566145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice