Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pros/cons is this the best way to reinstall xp?

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Sherry22160 
#1 ·
we all like to play on the internet, and imo one of the most problematic factors for non-techies like myself in reformatting and reinstalling windows xp, is that the whole process is a PIA, even if you're got a slipstreamed xp sp2 disc and all the updates. just reinstalling AV, FW, AS, (as their customized settings) as well as all of your other programs (wmp, IE 7 (or 6), firefox etc) is a pain. I read a post on a computer board the other day that seemed (at least to me) to make a lot of sense.
1) make sure you have all your windows sp2 updates downloaded to file 2) save your docs and these windows sp2 updates to an external source (external hd, usb drive, disc, whatever) 2) reformat your hard-drive 3)reinstall windows xp, sp2, then reinstall your xp critical updates, 4) create all of your administrator and user log-ons and your desktop layout for each) 5) disable all of the xp processes to your tastes 6) insert a second slave HD (formatted and partitioned to your tastes) and use quality cloning software to clone everything over to your slave HD. 7) remove your primary HD and store it away 8) reinsert your slave HD (with the xp copy) as your primary HD and reinstall your programs.​
I guess this could even be carried one more step in that we all have certain programs (for me Ccleaner and hijack this) that could just be installed in the original (back-up) drive as well, and if your satisfied and comfortable with your software firewall and it's settings (and any other programs) this could be installed in the original HD as well.​
the problem I have is that the only cloning software I have are the ones included with the western digital and maxtor Hard-drives that I've purchased over the years, and after using this software to clone a new hard-drive, I don't have much faith in that software. (I guess from what I've read that acronis (sp-?) true image and ghost are probably the 2 best, but I don't know--?). also I've heard that xp will give you some problems if you try and clone it more than once. if you have your original xp on your original stored-away hd, and clone it over-and-over for use in the same computer (for a reformat, so-to-speak), will there also be problems (original HD to secondary hard-drive over and over for a quick reformat/install) (not original hard-drive to secondary hard then that --image-- on the secondary hard-drive-- to another secondary hard-drive) .....thx​

See less See more
#2 ·
This is what I do.
I have a Secondary HDD which is NOT plugged up to MB.This HDD contains my Ghost Back Up Images.

I plug it up every couple of weeks and put another Updated Ghost Image on there.

I had a Situation where I had to Reinstall.
Popped in the Ghost Disc and Bingo.....I was up and running with EVERTHING in a jiffy.Sure the Image was a week old BUT I made no major changes so it was as if I had no Hicup at all.

Yes, I like Norton Ghost.........A time saver.......

#3 ·
Yes, I like Norton Ghost.........A time saver.......
sherry....thx. are there any major differences in various software versions of norton ghost from say norton ghost 2003 to norton ghost 9 to norton ghost 10? (or acronis true image) thx
btw, this reformat, reinstall and the cloning of windows xp with all of the OS system settings already configured seems like a logical plan for back-up. I'm still expermenting with various software firewalls and I've found that windows has a ton of outbound connection holes in it (probably not surprising to a lot of experienced windows xp users, but it was to me), and that software firewalls like ZA free, don't do a whole lot of good, especially if you like to download and experiment with different software. (all this software wants to try and connect to their servers all the time and I'm running a well known name AV that even with auto-updates turned off and all outbound connections blocked thru the software firewall is still trying to connect out--at least according to port logging software--*&^%$#%^&. I'm not sure yet, but from what I've read recently, my preliminary thinking is that the way to go may be with smoothwall on a separate older PC, and keep the software firewall out of the OS completely. in any event, I'm going to buy some quality cloning software, as re-loading and configuring xp from scratch is just too big of a time consuming pain.​

#4 ·
I would go for a Hardware Firewall (Router)

My PC goes through a Router then out Wirelessly.
You can overcomplicate these issues sometimes.

I have NAV 2007 (Not everyones Favourite)
Norton Ghost 9 (Restore in case of Crash)
cwshredder
HijackThis
RegSeeker
SpywareBlaster
CCCleaner
Win Defender
RegCleaner
Regdefrag
AdAware

It sounds like overkill,but really it's easy to have these apps.
I never have any Probs with unwanted nasties,..(Yet).

As for Software Differences,,well its always a Personel Choice.

I have always stuck with Peter Nortons Stuff even going right back to XTree Pro/ Gold

Now..there was an old Favourite......

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.