Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pros & Cons of Windows Vista

42K views 101 replies 28 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
Why Windows Vista Won't Suck [Note: this is the article's actual title!]
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1931914,00.asp

Note: This article presents the Pros of Windows Vista!
* Major Kernel Overhaul
* Networking
* Media Center Improvements
* Major Audio Changes
* DirectX 10
* New Built-In Apps
* Aero Glass and the New UI
* Security, Security, and more Security
* Should you Upgrade?

There are also 60 posts in Discussion URL about the article.

Here are some of the leading Cons about Windows Vista:
* No support for DVD drives lacking firmware region coding
* New monitor needed to view Hi-Definition content
* Vista will encrypt hard drives by Default
* Vista may shorten the life of flash memory (by using it for caching via SuperFetch - only has 10,000 writes: bad idea)
* Vista won't work with many graphics cards and will remove games developers' ability to cater for older systems
* Drivers have to be signed for x64 versions of Vista

-- Tom

See less See more
#6 ·
* Major Kernel Overhaul

but the basis STILL sucks

* Networking

It doesn't take a genius to rip the network stack from *nix

* Media Center Improvements

nobody uses it anyway

* Major Audio Changes

Still can't catch up to *NIX

* DirectX 10

Will suck almost as bad as 9

* New Built-In Apps

but still crippled so you will have to buy the fancy versions.

* Aero Glass and the New UI

Again it won't look as good as *nix

* Security, Security, and more Security

they said that about 95, 98, ME, NT, 2K, and XP.

#10 ·
Not 100% certain, but I think AcaCandy has been testing a beta version of Vista. Perhaps she will share her impressions when the time is right.

But I'm 100% certain, it would be better to wait for her comments/review rather than bug her about it :)

Just a comment, you guys have at it, as you will. :)

Direct X 10?

good god, I just spent $200+ on a fully compliant dX 9.0c card...figures :rolleyes:

#12 ·
I'm a sucker I know, but I'll buy Vista as soon as I have the extra money just for <CWLMST> and giggles. I have to see all the changes for myself, and no one else's opinion can I trust like my own, even if it costs $300 more then its worth.

#14 ·
I've loaded it several times, but I'm going to wait for one more beta drop, since I've had enough issues trying to run applications with it. I need to be able to use it at least part time for production to get any mileage on it, and it's not stable enough for that yet.

#15 ·
So how many of you guys are going to switch over to vista once it is released. Wouls the average guy (like myself) who just uses their computer for gaming, msn, internet browsing, word processing, stuff like that (no programming) really see a difference in the 2 OS's? I mean, i could just backup all my files and install it to just check it out, unless there is an easier way, but other then that, would there be a reason for a guy like me to switch?

#16 ·
The average user... I would say should wait for the day when their apps and day to day things start to all run on Vista. If its not native to Vista and you just want it to work, I wouldn't make the switch.

#17 ·
I agree. IMHO.

I'm not going to change from XP untill I need to (or want to). I held on to Windows 98 SE for the longest before getting a new whole new system that introduced me to XP.

Maverick, I'm a user somewhat similar to you, I feel that with my experience level, I've invested too much time in learning the ins and outs of XP, like I did with W98. I don't want that knowledge tossed aside til I'm ready, if I have a choice.

The main reason I would switch to a new OS would be lack support from Microsoft, which goes along with loserOlimbs' comment. That is going to happen sooner or later.

Though Vista is said to have security enhancements, I'm sure everyone will still look forward to getting updates every other Tuesday or so. :)

#18 ·
I'm still using 2k on my work machines and will stick there until support is totally dropped.
This machine I'm using at the moment is my 'support' laptop, and that has 3.11, 98se, ME, 2k, XP pro, and 2003 on the main drive with XP home, Vista beta, and Suse Linux on the spare drive.

#19 ·
I have 2K and XP here. I'll probably have a Vista machine running by the time it's released, just to have it handy, but I won't be jumping right in and converting all my work to it.. :)

#21 ·
* No support for DVD drives lacking firmware region coding
* New monitor needed to view Hi-Definition content
* Vista will encrypt hard drives by Default
* Vista may shorten the life of flash memory (by using it for caching via SuperFetch - only has 10,000 writes: bad idea)
* Vista won't work with many graphics cards and will remove games developers' ability to cater for older systems
* Drivers have to be signed for x64 versions of Vista
:confused:

being a gamer, and a person who recently bought an expensive monitor and is shopping for an X1900XT graphics card right now :down: :down:

why do I suddenly hate microsoft ? *runs and jumps on the I hate microsoft bandwagon*

#22 ·
JohnWill said:
I have 2K and XP here. I'll probably have a Vista machine running by the time it's released, just to have it handy, but I won't be jumping right in and converting all my work to it.. :)
John, you are a wiseguy.

:eek: Oh, wait, you know what i mean... a wise guy. :up:

Cautious, intelligent sort of fellow, what?

Regarding what jamescricket posted, does anyone have an opinion on hardware compatibility with Vista? Are you folks allowed to speak of such, yet?

There some tales told of such issues after XP's SP2 release that has made me reluctant to install it, just for hardware compatibility reasons.
Though I'm aware that support for anything less will soon come to an end, might there not be a similar scenario with Vista?

#23 ·
I'll say that there are a lot of questionable drivers yet, but the situation is improving. It's more compatible then the folks that tell you that all new hardware is required would lead to believe. :D

#24 ·
I CAN tell you that I am testing it on two totally different machines and it has found drivers for all the standard devises. It does look for XP drivers for "other" devices and tries to use those. The only device that I have not been able to get working is a very old parallel scanner that I struggled to get to work in 2k and XP anyway (key was use the NT 4 drivers for those and force the irqs)

#25 ·
Hi jamescricket,

All Windows OSes, never having been designed with the forethought of security is a good one. That being said, they are now trying, but it doesn't make it any easier for their customers.

Windows OSes just take too much time to administrate from a security point of view for the average user, who just wants to turn on, and start using the system.

Windows OSes are just plain not easy to use or understand. Beginners haven't got a clue and need all the help they can get. Intermediates are a leg up, but still need all the help they can get. Advanced users may have a clue, but find it still takes too much time to administrate and solve problems.

-- Tom

#26 ·
It found all of my hardware except for Realtek sound card drivers, and I had to use my motherboard cd for that.

I just got it to see all my networked computers....not sure what the heck the problem was there, haven't changed anything since Thursday or so, and today, they all magically appeared :rolleyes: Now if I can just figure out WHY I can't access the shared files on it from the other systems............. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.