1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PROTECTED CONTENT ,, yeah but I own it. I think.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by jayd, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jayd

jayd Thread Starter

Can anyone please advise?

I have one track of a very old recording (1930s) that I have legally. All I want to do is edit out approx. 60 seconds of a junk vocal and keep the instrumental. But apparently my editing software won't do it as it is "Protected Content." I don't know how I got it that way but I just found it in properties. So, is there a work around for this? Nobody but me listens to this stuff anyway.

Thanks

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. jayd

jayd Thread Starter

Mumb, Thanks but one question about Audacity. From what I read it looks like something for more advanced users.
    If it's real geeky, I might have some problems, dumb as that appears. Not a youngster anymore so this stuff doesn't come easy.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Yeah, but there are not any simple ones that are free.

Here is one I have used in the past, not free, but was easier to use than Audacity
    http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/index.html

All of them are a bit funky to use, you just have to do some practicing.

How big is the file you want to edit, I assume it is MP3?

5. helpful

helpful

A Protected content error would usually mean the file is protected by digital rights and the program will not be able to open the file for editing. The reason being if the program allowed this feature you could save the file in an unprotected format bypassing the drm.

When you ripped the content, did you enable drm?
    If you purchased the content online, did you purchase a drm free file?

If you purchased the digital file legally online, the distributor may have put restrictions on the file.

6. jayd

jayd Thread Starter

Mumb ... thank you. To answer your question.
    Size is 3.15mb. Which of course is geek to me. I don't really know if that is a large file or what.
    It also said: (3,307,533 bytes)
    On Disk: (3,309,568 bytes)

Not sure it's worth paying for just one track. Actually, I could edit from an older cassette I have of the track and then transfer over. Maybe a little more work.

Helpful: I ripped the track from a CD I bought. I have editing software that's pretty straightforward and easy to use but it won't work on this track for reasons you state and I suspected only after seeing the protected content when I used properties and saw Lic.

My Thanks to you both.
    JayD

7. jayd

jayd Thread Starter

I just thought of this least anyone think I'm some kind of pirate altho I suppose it's possible but not the intent to be.
    The kind of music I lean to, actually a passion, is very early Jazz and the Swing era. So many of the less known tunes are I thought, out of copyright and in the public domain. Same with classical music , some of which I also like. The problem with Jazz however, is that too often someone thought they could improve the track by scat singing that sounds more like an injured animal after being hit by a car. For me, it spoils the track and so I used to edit out that junk on my cassettes and reel to reel (in the really olde days). In the case of reel to reels, I'd actually make a perfect cut in the tapes and then make a copy of that. Quality never suffered on recordings made in the teens and 20s or even 40s.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice