Protecting a Computer-Challenged Guy From Himself

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tommy Meehan

Banned
A manager at work (using Windows XP) is always calling me or my partner for help with his computer. He deletes the toolbar. Disables the printer. Today he increased his template font to giant-sized. :rolleyes: Never knows how he did it, never knows how to fix it. It used to be my unofficial job to help him restore order. Now its fallen to my partner. He's getting tired of it the same way I did.

Question-

Is there a way a non-administrator can lock in someone's settings so the user can't change them??? And without asking the company's network admin for help (which might not be a very good idea).

Tommy

Well i suggest you speak with the company's admin, it is a more professional way to deal with things. There are programs like "desktop authority" that will allow admins the restrict certain areas that noobs dont need to mess with (such as the majority of control panel), they can lock settings etc. My school uses that one, (then ofcourse there is always workarounds for the geeks, but he isn't one) and it seems to do a good job of keeping people from crudding things up.

Tommy Meehan

Banned
iXneonXi said:
Well i suggest you speak with the company's admin, it is a more professional way to deal with things...My school uses ...
iXNeonXi thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it, but here's the deal. Things don't work quite the same on jobs as they do at school. Trust me. (y)

But the program does its same task, the desktop authority program (dont just look into that one, theres plenty others) will restrict certain areas so he won't even be able to mess with them. Won't matter if it is home school or work.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Tommy Meehan said:
iXNeonXi thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it, but here's the deal. Things don't work quite the same on jobs as they do at school. Trust me. (y)
I wouldn't really correlate it that way. A network and its computers will only run as good as its I.T. staff. Whether it is a school or a business. I have not treated either one differently when working for either.

Tommy Meehan

Banned
Squashman said:
Whether it is a school or a business. I have not treated either one differently when working for either.
You both misunderstood. I don't mean school computers and work computers are different. The reason we would prefer not to get the network admin involved is because the user in question is a manager. There's office politics involved. Duh.

I understood both meanings. If the manager keeps freakin out and messin up his computers, and asks for help, then he wants your help and you should professionally explain to him that it may be better to restrict certain areas that he has no need for but may messup his computer. If he refuses save urself some time and dont fix his computer, stubborn people are annoying.

Tommy Meehan

Banned
iXneonXi said:
...If [your manager] refuses save urself some time and dont fix his computer, stubborn people are annoying.
Okay. Alright. I got it the first time. You're hijacking my thread.

Now can anyone - besides Neon, that is - answer the original question: How to lock in settings so the user can't change them?

Tommy Meehan said:
Okay. Alright. I got it the first time. You're hijacking my thread.

Now can anyone - besides Neon, that is - answer the original question: How to lock in settings so the user can't change them?
If you'd spent the same energy on READING the responses to your question as you did attacking 'Neon' who was trying to help you, you'd find that 'Neon' already suggested programs that you could look for to do what you need.

He also pointed out that using them on someone's PC without their knowledge isn't exactly above board. Any company that is remotely interested in the security of its systems won't want all and sundry loading programs and messing with the system. Unless you work with the IT dept and/or involve your boss in your 'tampering', you'll likely find yourself in just as much, if not more, trouble than if you had a quiet word with the IT people to start with.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
This is exactly the job for the I.T. staff to handle. They should have policies setup that keep everyones computers working the same and not allow you to make changes. If the I.T. staff cannot be professional about their job then they shouldn't be there.

The only way to lock in the settings is to have the Network Admin push down a group policy to the machine. I think your manager needs to swallow his pride and ask for some help or take a class in basic computer skills.

Yes I already gave you advice, and which road to take. It isn't good to go behind their backs and do things, you should be professional and speak with the IT and the person whose computer you will be fooling with. If he/she really does want help with his/her computer then i assure you it would be better to talk to them, they dont want their computers messing up all the time and neither would you or me.

Tommy Meehan

Banned
The trouble with Desktop Authority or Deep Freeze is they are commercial programs. We're looking for something within Windows that allows you to 'lock in' settings.

Thought someone might know.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Tommy Meehan said:
The trouble with Desktop Authority or Deep Freeze is they are commercial programs. We're looking for something within Windows that allows you to 'lock in' settings.

Thought someone might know.
Group policies which would need to be set by your Administrator.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online