1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

protecting ACCESS

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by murrayg, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. murrayg

murrayg Thread Starter

I created a log for work that must be used to keep track of some vital information. I don't want the user to be able to modify the font or table list or report format. All I want is the user to enter data and save it. They can search the table for information but not change anything as far as the Font (Bold, italic, courier to arial or other than what was used when created).:rolleyes:

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Do you use a form?

You SHOULD.

Then, put the form in another DB and LINK the table from "your" DB into their DB. They can't change anything in a linked table. Just data...

Let me know if you need more help.

3. Bruce319

Bruce319

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Bruce! How dare you contradict... (ROFL!!)

I prefer my method so that murrayg doesn't have to "get around it" everytime he wants to work on the DB...

5. Bruce319

Bruce319

Hi Dreamboat.
    Just wanted to give murrayg more options. :)
    Not saying your method doesn't work.

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I know. Just busting on you. :D

7. Bruce319

Bruce319

It's all good.

8. annalyst

annalyst

If your using several different tables in the database (assuming this is relational) you can create subforms on your main form and contain the information you don't want altered on one or two subforms and in the design view you can change the add, edit and delete to 'no' in the properties. For example I use three to four subforms and only one contains information that can be edited so the rest I'll change the properties to 'no.'
    Just thought I'd put my two cents in.
    annalyst

9. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    And a great 2 cents they are. :)

I hate Access security, and it seems many other people do too. There always seems to be someone trying to restrict without using security.

:)

Hey, annalyst.
    I just looked.
    You're a chick!!

Yay!!!

I love having other women techies around! There's sooo few of us! Which doesn't make sense, 'cause women are sooo much smarter than men....don'tcha think?

:D

10. annalyst

annalyst

You got that right
    Passwords and access don't go together.
    You can get rid of all access to the tables in the start up menu, most users no nothing about this little trick and if you have to make changes there are no passwords to remember.

Female techs aren't that popular, men do not want to talk to you and of course this is caused by their fear.
    Men can babble to each other in tech talk and we can decipher it and give it back to them in plain English.
    Yeah it's been a real challenge and a whole lot of fun!

11. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    ROFLMFAO!!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice