1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

protecting folders with passwords

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ddd04195, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ddd04195

ddd04195 Thread Starter

does anyone know a free software that can put passwords on your folders?
    ive tried alot of different softwares but they are all 30 day trials or a extremely compilicated to use. i only need a software that can just add a password onto my files it doesnt need to be heavily protected just so i can be the only one who reads them

sorry but i dont know if this is the correct place to place this thread

2. cuttlefish

cuttlefish

First Name:
    Ian
  3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

TrueCrypt, free, never expires, and very effective.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I agree or Axcrypt. But I have to ask. Do you have a password on your user account for your computer.

5. ddd04195

ddd04195 Thread Starter

I do but there are children in my house who also play on my computer. Its just an extra safty precaution so they can't accidently delete some files

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I wouldn't count on encryption software preventing accidental deletion. Hopefully someone who's used these apps will clarify this for you.

7. Squashman

Create an account for each of your children instead of letting them use your account. Keep the files in your user account.

If you are worried about someone accidently deleting the files then I know for certain that you don't care about your data enough to make backups. Plenty of free and easy to use software to make backups.

Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about. Some Old Guy here told me that once. :rolleyes:

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Even if each kid had their own account, they could still delete the files. Depending on the kids, they may know all sorts of tricks or might be sweet angels who sometimes make mistakes using computers. I've seen plenty of adult sweet angels who make such mistakes.

Unfortunately, the solutions are not designed to be easily implemented by the average home user. There's NTFS file permissions which requires not using simple file sharing which most family's want to use on their networks. Or there's storing important data only on removable media (flash drives, CD/DVD/ external hard drive) and disconnecting when not in use by the adults. This could get inconvenient.

Of course you should always have backups of important data, but not many people make instantaneous backups of important files after every change is made. There's always a margin for error that can result in data loss.

9. ddd04195

ddd04195 Thread Starter

I just thought adding a password would be more usefull especially if my computer gets stolen and i just tried it, protected documents cannot be deleteed without a password.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Backup is the ONLY way to truly protect those files. What happens if your disk dies?

Remember: Data you don't have at least two copies of is data you don't care about.

11. Squashman

There's that old guy. ;)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593902

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice