Protecting my kids from nasties

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rgh

Hi,
I have a 7 y/o son who is very adept at surfing the net, so I really want to install an application that will prevent him as a user accessing nasty sites - what do people here recommend to protect him but not tie up my whole computer - I have a logon for him to use - are there settings I should tighten up so he surf safely but can't logon as either myself or my wife.
Any help or suggestions appreciated.
Cheers,
ROB!

rgh

Thanks, I had a look there & am downloading 'ActivatorDesk Blogger-Dot-Kids' and I'll see what that is like. Anyone with experience of it or has a preferred application or can suggest must have features of an application?
Cheers,
ROB!

I have ZoneAlarm Security Suite as a anti-virus/firewall program, but it also has a Parental Control tab where you can check off many different kinds of websites to block. You can also set a password so he wouldn't be able to change the settings.

Not sure if you're looking for a whole program like ZoneAlarm, but I really like it.

I think no parental control s/w is enough to keep those nasty sites at bay.After all,they're s/w s,not human brains.To keep those nasty sites at bay,it's now being thought to start a new .xxx domain name.That will help those s/ws certainly to do their job properly.Physical vigillance will be better I think.

Mean while try NetNanny.I think,it's the best and most famous among its compettitors.

rgh

chatterjee said:
I think no parental control s/w is enough to keep those nasty sites at bay.After all,they're s/w s,not human brains.To keep those nasty sites at bay,it's now being thought to start a new .xxx domain name.
What is an 's/w'? :confused:

I've heard of Net Nanny, but 'ActivatorDesk Blogger-Dot-Kids' has a built in browser apparently - hadn't had a chance to look it over yet - has Net Nanny kept pace with developments as it has been around a long while?

If you're saying I should be looking over my sons shoulder whilst he is on the net, then I don't think you have many kids :D - I have 3 boys with another due next month and I cannot physically supervise all their activities - making sure they are playing safely (& occassionally quietly) is my main aim!

I will also look into Zone alarm - hopefully it has a more practical to use firewall than Mr Norton did!
Cheers,
ROB!

S/w is simply the abbreviated form of 'Software'

rgh said:
then I don't think you have many kids
It's not possible because I'm going to 16 this January. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online