1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Protecting my network and Internet connection. (D-Link G624M)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by robaldo, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robaldo

robaldo Thread Starter

I have a D-Link DSL-G624M Wireless ADSL Router and use it to share the internet to 1 other computer and 2 laptops in the house.

I dont think its protected and need help on how to do this so people outside this house cant access our connection.

Im not good with networking and didnt want to change any settings incase i did wrong.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Login to the router and enable WPA-PSK encryption. Use a passphrase of 20+ letters and numbers (and special chars. if desired). Tape the passphrase to the bottom of the router for later use. Enter the same passphrase on all the PCs you want to access the network.

If any devices don't support WPA, look for a driver (adapter) or firmware (router) update.

If absolutely necessary use WEP 128-bit with a good hex key.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Just to clarify TerryNet's comment, using a WPA passphrase or WEP key only applies to computers that use a wireless connection to the DSL-G624M. A PC connected via one of the 4 wired LAN ports does not use WPA or WEP.

4. robaldo

robaldo Thread Starter

thanks for the help, ive sorted it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice