Protecting the Boss's Computer From the Boss

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tommy Meehan

Banned
My Boss is a pretty good guy but he's rough on computers. He gets frustrated when the computer reacts slowly or does something he doesn't expect. Then he starts clicking things. Anything. Sometimes by chance he must hit some obscure Keyboard Command Shortcuts. This results in things like the printer being disabled. Or in Word the page setup being weirdly altered. . Then he's yelling for help cause. The other day - I don't know what he did - his template font size in Word was suddenly like 86! When things like this happen either myself or my partner have to drop whatever we're doing and try and help him restore. It's frustrating.

Has anybody run across this problem? How can we lock in his settings so they can't be changed. Someone suggested locking Control Panel but he doesn't do these things through Control Panel, I don't think. Though locking Control Panel might be a start. How do you do it?

Btw, our network admin doesn't want to be bothered,

That is the admins job not yours. But if you boss insists on being a hothead and taking his inadequacy out on inanimate objects you couls always use some sort of software solution to roll his config back to a restore point where it was working. You could probably lock down all of his settings but setting up a network policy(admins job again) or making all of his templates read only.

Lord Yorien says:

Well, the first think should be to know te OS you're using. If it's NT-based (NT, 2000, XP,...) then you could start by removing rights from his user (many people leave bosses as local administrators of their machines... *tsk*, *tsk*... bad idea) That way he/she'll will be able to mess up HIS/HER configuration, and not the system's.

Next step is to lock Office configuration. Take a look at this page for info about that:

Lock Office Configuration

If need more help, ask.

Lord Yorien Dragonard

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Closing this thread too. One more posting on this same subject will result in your account being terminated here.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online