1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

protecting wireless internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ginatron3000, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ginatron3000

ginatron3000 Thread Starter

I am trying to secure my wireless internet connection and have a hell of a time doing it. I have a motorola SBG900. I entered the code(?) 192.168.100.1 into my browser and the motorola program opened. I then entered the factory user ID and password. This allows me to try to change the password to provide security but every time I change anything the modem doesn't connect anymore and it gives me the error message that the setting saved to the computer to do match the requirements of the network. So I usually go back and undo what I just did and forget about protecting it. Well we are trying to do as a request from our neighbor so I can't give up. This last time I logged in and selected WPA to protect it and hit enter. It looked like it worked but then it just blocked me from the network again and now the 192 code doesn't work. If you understand any of this, do you have any advice??

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi ginatron3000, and welcome to TSG?

By any chance, are you using a wireless connection when changing the modem settings? If so, then enabling or changing the wireless encryption pass phrase / key, will definitely disconnect you from the SBG900 as soon as those settings are applied in the modem. You will need to re-establish the connection by going into your computer's wireless settings and enter the new pass phrase / key. It is usually better to use a wired LAN connection between the modem and the computer when making changes in the wireless settings.

By the way, you may want to take it easy on any kind of swearing around here. The mods and admins try to run a very family friendly site.

3. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Take an ethernet cord, plug one end into your computer and the other end into your router. Do not plug it into the WAN port of the router. This port is usually different than all the rest in that it is usually a different color. This will prevent you from getting booted off the router every time you make a change in the settings.

Also, you want WPA2. WPA is crackable. Also, change the default username and password for the router. Anyone can look up these factory settings and log into your router and do whatever they want.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you have a reference for "WPA is crackable"? (I don't mean how to do it, just that it has been done.) I know somebody showed some time back that it could be "compromised," but have never heard of it being cracked (assuming, of course, a strong passphrase).

5. ginatron3000

I have hard wired the modem to the computer and was able to regain access to my modem setting. I had to remove the WEP security because it continues to say that configuration does not work with my settings. I tried WPA and the same thing happens.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you do as Chuck suggested:

Another way that usually works is to disable encryption on the router, connect, enable the encryption you want, and reconnect (you should be prompted for the new key).

7. ginatron3000

Could the reason be when I look at my computers IP configurations is says IP Routing enabled : NO
    How do I change this?

8. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Reference? No. There's a a security group on campus and they are good. I recall them saying it was crackable, but maybe they meant/said compromised. What would be the difference? I mean either way if it is cracked/compromised, you really wouldn't want it. And WPA2 is offered and much better, so I wouldn't even see a reason to use WPA.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Compromised" may have been the wrong word. Somehow some researchers did something like "inserting" some packets onto a WPA protected network, but I have not yet heard of anybody actually cracking WPA (unless a dictionary word is used for the passphrase).

Provided all devices on the network support WPA2 and work correctly with it there is no reason to not use it. There are many devices still being used that do not support WPA2, and some adapters that should be working with WPA2 seem to fail in that endeavor but work OK with WPA.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No.

Enable Internet Connection Sharing in XP or Vista. I don't know how to change it in Windows 7. You do not want IP Routing enabled unless you are using ICS.

11. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Well I'll take your word for all of it. I haven't encountered any of these problems with WPA2, so I wouldn't know. Granted, I don't have a billion posts like you, so maybe I'll encounter them soon enough. I don't see why there would be problems with WPA2, but then again, I don't know that much to begin with.

12. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    All you should have to do is hard wire to the device. Then, change all of the settings in the configuration as you like. After that, if your computer says you don't have internet connection, then remove the wireless profile from in network and sharing center and reconnect to the device. Make sure you select the encryption as the same you did in the configurations and the password exactly as you did in the configurations. After that, you should be good to go.

You have to remove the wireless profile because your computer still has the old password and the old encryption (I think you said you are using WEP, which can be cracked in a matter of minutes, unless terrynet says cracked is the wrong word, but I'm almost positive WEP is crackable). So you have to remove the wireless profile and then re add it with the new settings.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Agreed that WEP is very crackable by anyone who wants to gather the knowledge and tools. In practicable terms WPA is not crackable, and I base my belief on articles such as this How long does a WPA key need to be?. If I were guarding military or other very high value assets I'd use WPA2 and a long (at least twenty characters) passphrase. But for home and small business use WPA with a short (letters and digits at least) passphrase should be sufficiently safe. Someday that will probably change, but so far WPA is holding up much better and longer than WEP did.

14. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Agreed. WEP was a joke for security that I wouldn't even consider it security. Maybe someday I'll try to compromise a network secured with WPA, but I have no knowledge in regards to doing that, so it would be an epic fail. I know of [deleted], but I tried using it once, long ago (educational purposes of course) and was unsuccessful.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Probably better that we don't even mention that program. I tested it some years back on my own Vista and XP. It did well on short passwords, but failed once I got up to six letters and digits mixed.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice