1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

protection error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joetech, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joetech

joetech Thread Starter

I can run win95 in safe mode and it comes up but the next rerun it comes up with a protection error.
    This is a new computer with one old HD. I took out the new 40g HD in order to resolve this problem.
    The fdisk shows fat16 for C:
    Each time I restart I get 'protection error' .
    any ideas?

2. LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

Have you tried a reinstall overlay?

It sounds slightly familiar to a problem I may have had - but it was some time ago ... argh! :(

To install over the top, boot up with your boot up disk using CD support, insert your Windows CD and type Setup.exe

If you don't want to go that far, hold out here. I'm sure it's come up before for many people, so someone must know another way.

3. joetech

joetech Thread Starter

I would love to load anything in my CD rom but the system does not know it's there. I haven't been able to load any of the drivers for the new system. My first problem was when I installed the 40g HD and used fdisk which I now know win95 does not like drives over 32gig and will not use partitions defined as Large in Fdisk.
    I need a way to get the CDrom to operate in safe mode.???
    Thanks LooneyT

4. LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

Hmm. Ok.

I'm plucking at straws here, but .. (maybe I should make that my trademark ..lol)..

1st - You cannot use CD, in fact anything except the basics in safe mode.
    2nd - Try looking in BIOS and check that it's detected your current drive and not still stuck with the 40GB setting.

Does your floppy boot up disk, if you have one, contain CD drivers - for example, when you freshly install Win95/98 you need the CD drivers to start the installation from the CD.

5. joetech

joetech Thread Starter

Yes the old 1gig drive is in the bios and cmos along with the CDrom and floppy.
    I can use the floppy but not the CDrom. If I clear out the HD and load win98 I think I can move ahead since win98 will accept HD over 32gig. If I can then use the CDrom I will power down and install the 40g HD. Does that sould like the right direction?
    :)

6. LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

Hell go for it!!
    Whatya still going with Win95 when u got an Win98 CD anyway? lol
    Unless there is anything you really need on your drive, reformat and start with Win98.

One thing I read somewhere u might want to try b4 u do this, is boot up with your Win98 floppy. That will install CD drivers in DOS and make your CD drive accessable. The insert your Win95 CD and if I'm correct, you'll be able to point the DOS prompt at your CD drive and it should read it.

Either way, let us know how you get on. :)
    Goodluck!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59624

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice